Miraclone CC (best bang for buck)

The bulk of the musical talk
DouglasJB
4 valves
4 valves

Miraclone CC (best bang for buck)

Post by DouglasJB »

Hey guys, trying to find a way to get back into playing, and as much as I want a Willson 3400 (or Tubby Eb (2nd choice)) the finances are not quite there yet.

BUT...

The Miraphone 186 CC clones have been out for a while and offered by MANY companies. With what is currently out there. Who has the best Miraclone CC currently, and which years are best (and which to avoid)

Thanks everyone!
arpthark
5 valves
5 valves

Re: Miraclone CC (best bang for buck)

Post by arpthark »

I have owned a fair number of these from different importers.

In my experience, newer has been better.

I've had:

2013-ish Tuba Exchange
2015-ish Mack Brass
2019-ish Dillon

Intonation was fantastic on all of them. In general, they all seem to go for around $1500 used, so I would opt for a newer one. I could definitely tell that the linkage/valves weren't quite kosher on the two older ones I've had. I feel like this has improved recently. Valve slides are a bit smoother/easier to deal with, too; just better fit and finish all around.

At some point between 2015-ish and 2019, Jin Bao switched from the "flat paddle" fifth valve mechanism to the (much more ergonomic IMO) bar-style fifth valve, like on modern Miraphones. A good move.
Last edited by arpthark on Sun Nov 20, 2022 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MKTuba
bugler
bugler

Re: Miraclone CC (best bang for buck)

Post by MKTuba »

I had a Mach 410 I bought in 2018, and received in 2019. It was a fantastic first tuba and would have been great horn to keep had I decided not to pursue music at a higher level. Honestly, I think you should go with the newest one you can find, as the chinese companies are constantly upping their game. Anything made after 2017-2018 will probably be really good, so you won't have to worry about them being bad. Good luck on the search, and I hope you are able to find something good!
B&S 3198 (PT6P)
Wilson 3200s

BM Tuba Performance @ Michigan State