DCI Mouthpiece for tuba

The bulk of the musical talk
alexivy2004
lurker
lurker

DCI Mouthpiece for tuba

Post by alexivy2004 »

What is a good mouthpiece for projection and ease of playing in DCI?

Thank you in advance!
rollo
lurker
lurker

Re: DCI Mouthpiece for tuba

Post by rollo »

Stock answer: It depends on the student and what projects best and most cleanly for them. (the clean part is almost more important than the projection. Depending on the line, you may be trying to match sound with up to 15 other players and matching sound will be crucial.)

Personal experience: Marched a lot of years (DCI 2007, DCA 2006 to current), and I think a funnel shape with a flat sharp rim works best. A Helleberg can't really be beat to start with. I have spent nearly all my drum corps career playing on a Loud LM7, and most of my section mates switched when they were still available. Something with similar specs to the LM7 would be a good spot to start imo.

If there's a better resource to compare mouthpiece specs I'd love to see it, but check here and you may find something close that still for sale!
https://www.dwerden.com/Mouthpieces/tuba.cfm
Wessex Viverna
Conn 20K naked lady (Valentina)

MBI - '06, contra
Madison Scouts - '07, contra
The Govenaires - '08 - 15, contra
The Govenaires - '07, '16, euphonium
The Govenaires - '17 - '22, contra
DiveBomber
bugler
bugler

Re: DCI Mouthpiece for tuba

Post by DiveBomber »

From my personal experience the pt-50 is very popular. I got one for the year I marched and really loved that mouthpiece. That being said the best advice would be to try as many mouthpieces you can, try nearby music stores, your school or any other players.