an Alex sound on Mirafone 186?

The bulk of the musical talk
kathott
bugler
bugler

an Alex sound on Mirafone 186?

Post by kathott »

The Mirafone 186 is a model well known for its flexibility. An interesting aspect of this instrument is the many different mouthpiece designs it can accommodate.

I have been trying an original Deck #1, and an old King #26 mouthpiece, both of which are quite heavy. An unexpected result is that I’m getting an ‘Alex like’ sound out of the 186 CC. Of course, this is subjective, and we hear what we want to hear.
I love Alexanders and have had the opportunity to buy some good ones, but passed them over because my two Mirafone CC’s have equally fine qualities.

K.
Last edited by kathott on Fri Apr 14, 2023 2:11 am, edited 4 times in total.
Schmenge Kaiser EEb, 3 valve (two rotors, one piston), with a Kosicup mouthpiece (9.2 mm)
iiipopes
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Re: Alex sound on Mirafone 186?

Post by iiipopes »

From my experience:
1) Change out the bell for a St. Pete bell (This is what my 186 had on it when I bought it).
2) Use a Wick 1L (almost as deep as an old King 26).
Jupiter JTU1110, RT-82.
"Real" Conn 36K.
Roger Lewis
pro musician
pro musician

Re: an Alex sound on Mirafone 186?

Post by Roger Lewis »

Indiana university actually had an Alexander 163 with a 186 bell on it. It was actually a great horn.
"The music business is a cruel and shallow trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." Hunter S Thompson
Lee Stofer
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Lee Stofer »

The older Mirafone 186 and Alexander 163 both had a 16.5" bell diameter. When I was an undergrad and the earth's crust was still cooling, the Mirafone 186 was sometimes referred to as the, "Poor man's Alexander." The Alexander had a slightly larger valve bore, and required a larger shank mouthpiece, but the design was really quite similar. The newer Miraphones were/are equipped with a smaller leadpipe, and like the Alexanders have gone to a 17.5" bell diameter, and I think both have lost some of their character in the process. I really like the sound and response of the older Mirafones,and had three mouthpipes specially ordered and made for the earlier Mirafones. Contact me if you need a replacement pipe for a vintage Mirafone, pre-1980's. Until I placed my order, the US supplier did not know that these even existed.
Lee A. Stofer, Jr.
barry grrr-ero
4 valves
4 valves

Post by barry grrr-ero »

I would aim for a bell with thicker gauge brass. A slightly bigger pipe may help, but you might also lose the quick response in the low end.