Good Piston BBb Tuba

The bulk of the musical talk
15vb
lurker
lurker

Good Piston BBb Tuba

Post by 15vb »

Any good reccomendations for a proffesional BBb tuba, I'm hoping to upgrade from a King 2341 as it's too small for me.

So far I've looked at the Melton 1955P and the Mira 1291 BBb
King 2341W BBb Tuba
Conn 88HO Trombone in Bb (obviously)
Getzen Eterna 700 Trumpet in Bb
Baldwin Piano
Yamaha Harmonica
Jess Haney
3 valves
3 valves

Re: Good Piston BBb Tuba

Post by Jess Haney »

I have a Willson 3100. It is definitely a bigger horn.
Brass Band Tacoma
Puget Brass
Willson BBb 3100 FA5
Willson Eb 3400 FA5

..and a miriad of other JUNK not worth mentioning.
BWang
bugler
bugler

Post by BWang »

Wessex Viverna. I have one on sale.
Roger Lewis
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Roger Lewis »

I own one of the very first 1291 5 valve BBb tubas Miraphone made. Great horn. I call it my earthquake machine. Most instruments play in major and minor scales. I play I’m the Richter scale. The 195P is also a great horn but my 1291 just feels better to me.

Roger
"The music business is a cruel and shallow trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." Hunter S Thompson
zangerzzz
bugler
bugler

Post by zangerzzz »

I've got a Marzan 4p1r BBb.
iiipopes
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by iiipopes »

Believe it or not, the Jupiter JTU1110 is such a tuba. I purchased one new recently to replace the 186 I used to have. It was so old that it really needed a lot of work that I didn't want to spend the money to recondition it. Now that the basic design of the Jupiter has been tweaked by Patrick Sheridan, it plays very well, indeed, with a big tone with both core and projection, superlative intonation, and good, if not great ergonomics (But then again, without some tweaking of the receiver angle and such, what 4/4 or larger BBb tuba does have above average ergonomics?)

I actually purchased mine on sale some time ago through Guitar Center, which appears to have a co-op arrangement with another large big-box music store warehouse, so I got the no-questions-asked GC return policy if I had not liked it when it arrived. The GC price as of today is the current street price, but not all vendors have a liberal return policy. Link:

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Jupiter/JT ... gJ4ZPD_BwE
Jupiter JTU1110, RT-82.
"Real" Conn 36K.