Mack 421S opinions

The bulk of the musical talk
JaxBen_20J
bugler
bugler

Mack 421S opinions

Post by JaxBen_20J »

I am considering doing some horse trading and I'd appreciate some other folks' thoughts.

I bought a relatively inexpensive F tuba (clone of a Miraphone 80) just about two years ago because I wanted to learn to play an F tuba, and I've really enjoyed having it. The only non-noodling use I have for it, though, is in quintet. I'm just not a soloist and have no interest in that approach to life. I've found that I really just kind of prefer playing in C overall, even though I've gotten pretty adept at F. I find myself looking more and more at the Mack 421S as something that would fit into how I use a tuba in quintet. My 410 is a little beefy for use in my quintet - sounds good, of course, but a .770 bore is quite a bit more effort than the F clone at .710, or potentially the 421's even smaller bore.

Ideally, I'd really like to test a 421S to see how it feels, but unless someone local to Atlanta has one and wouldn't mind meeting up for a blat-fest, I'm kind of relegated to other people's opinions. In a perfect world, if the 421S is a good fit for me, I'd be able to do a mostly even trade +/- cash to make everyone satisfied.

I'd love to get some thoughts as to how well some folks think switching from that F to a small C might work in practice, or whether it might be ill-advised due to reasons I just can't fathom.

Thanks!
The Brute Squad
bugler
bugler

Re: Mack 421S opinions

Post by The Brute Squad »

I can't see why it would be ill-advised to switch back. As long as it works for you, that's what matters.

I've owned a 421 for about a year now and it's a capable little horn. I could see myself using it in a quintet.
Joe K

Player of tuba, taker of photos, breaker of things (mostly software)

Miraphone 181 F w/ GW Matanuska/Yamaha John Griffiths
Kalison Daryl Smith w/ Blokepiece (#2 32.6, Orchestra Grand Cup, Symphony American shank)