Who makes custom gig bags anymore?

The bulk of the musical talk
matthewmarnold
lurker
lurker

Who makes custom gig bags anymore?

Post by matthewmarnold »

Hi, all. I'm dreaming of a gig bag for my old Mirafone 186 with detachable recording bell, but I can't seem to find anyone doing custom gig bags anymore since Altieri closed down their operations (allegedly temporarily) and Superfine was sidelined by a move. Anyone know of a good maker or have any advice on solutions for these horns? Two heavy cases + L Train is not really sustainable, alas.

I've loved my Altieri gig bags -- really hope they come back from this 'redesigning our line' hiatus!
barry grrr-ero
4 valves
4 valves

Re: Who makes custom gig bags anymore?

Post by barry grrr-ero »

They're not inexpensive, but Messina Covers does really good work.

http://www.messinacovers.net/
arpthark
5 valves
5 valves

Post by arpthark »

Just got my Messina bag for my Eastman in December. Really pleased with it. Nice people.
TubaDude
bugler
bugler

Post by TubaDude »

Messina Covers is the way to go. He's done two awesome gig bags for me, one for a 1915 York helicon and the other for a 1909 King helicon with an added 4th valve. I drove up with the horns and he made custom drawing with measurements and notes. Very easy to work with.
TubaDude
1909 King Helicon with 4th Valve Added
1913 York 4 Valve Eb/C Helicon (for sale)
DylanTuba
bugler
bugler

Post by DylanTuba »

Tom Rice at https://superfinecases.com/

Really beautiful work
arpthark
5 valves
5 valves

Post by arpthark »

DylanTuba wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 8:43 pm Tom Rice at https://superfinecases.com/

Really beautiful work
Tom is awesome but as far as I know Superfine has ceased operating.
matthewmarnold
lurker
lurker

Post by matthewmarnold »

Argh, yeah, he's not answering my emails. Really regretting dawdling on putting in that order before he closed up shop last year. But Messina looks great -- I'll give them a shop. Gotta see if I can goad them into adding a cow pattern pocket like I had on my old Altieri bag.

Thanks, folks.
arpthark wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 10:59 pm
DylanTuba wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 8:43 pm Tom Rice at https://superfinecases.com/

Really beautiful work
Tom is awesome but as far as I know Superfine has ceased operating.
Snake Charmer
bugler
bugler

Post by Snake Charmer »

Couesnon in France
www.pgm-coesnon.fr
Side-loader in cordura or leather, sturdy and fitting like a glove. They are made to order, it takes ca two weeks until delivery. I have them (in cordura) for most of my horns, the oldest is now more than 10 years in weekly use und shows no wear.
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

Cronkhite!

Although on the subway (I was the F train, not the L), I felt like the cronkhite sits too low and was harder to walk a lot with.

Alternatively, get a new Miraphone gig bag for a new 186. will have a little extra room in the bell diameter, but they are build very well and comfortable to stand and walk with. Bonus... Rigid disk on top of the bell for added protection. Saved me a lot of pain going through the turnstiles where I couldn't get buzzed through...
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

D'oh, I missed the recording bell part... I think Messina is the option for that. Superfine, to my knowledge, wouldn't have helped in that regard even if they were making things now.
The Brute Squad
bugler
bugler

Post by The Brute Squad »

bort wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 9:15 pm D'oh, I missed the recording bell part... I think Messina is the option for that.
Unfortunately, Messina's a no on that, too.
Note: We only make bags for upright bell tubas.
Joe K

Player of tuba, taker of photos, breaker of things (mostly software)

Miraphone 181 F w/ GW Matanuska/Yamaha John Griffiths
Kalison Daryl Smith w/ Blokepiece (#2 32.6, Orchestra Grand Cup, Symphony American shank)
arpthark
5 valves
5 valves

Post by arpthark »

The Brute Squad wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 9:57 am
bort wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 9:15 pm D'oh, I missed the recording bell part... I think Messina is the option for that.
Unfortunately, Messina's a no on that, too.
Note: We only make bags for upright bell tubas.
Hmm. I am pretty sure I saw an example of them making a one-off recording bell bag for an old King 2341? Might've been on Facebook.

It's worth an email at least. David is very responsive.
circusboy
4 valves
4 valves

Post by circusboy »

Snake Charmer wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 11:02 am Couesnon in France
www.pgm-coesnon.fr
Side-loader in cordura or leather, sturdy and fitting like a glove. They are made to order, it takes ca two weeks until delivery. I have them (in cordura) for most of my horns, the oldest is now more than 10 years in weekly use und shows no wear.
This is a correct link: https://pgm-couesnon.fr/
Michael Grant
bugler
bugler

Post by Michael Grant »

To those that have said Messina doesn’t make bags for recording bell tuba, David made a beautiful set for my King 2341. And mine was not the first set of bags he made for a recording bell King. I had one case made for the body of the horn and one for the bell. David did a wonderful job in the design and construction of the bags. They are made of very durable materials, strong zippers, etc. His “how to” video allowed me to get accurate measurements of the horn. The tracing and accurate measurements allow David to design a bag that is balanced in weight. Whether I am carrying it by the handles or using it as a backpack, the weight of the horn is evenly distributed. So many other gig bags I’ve had have been very cumbersome and clumsy to carry. Not his one. Even the ergonomics of the bell bag was very well thought out. The handles are placed in such a way the the bag does not wobble or bounce against your body when carrying. David was happy with my tracings and measurements, Even still, to be sure of the fit, he borrowed a 2341 recording bell from Martin Wilk. Thanks for going the extra mile, David.

There were two main things I was looking for when ordering this bag through Messina Covers. To have a gig bag for the body that I could carry like a backpack and a bell bag that would accommodate either bell (recording bell or the upright bell). As the upright bell is 3” less in diameter and not as tall as the recording bell, I felt confident that having the bag designed for the recording bell alone would still accommodate the upright bell securely. All goals met! The best part about a gig bag for the body only is that I don’t end up walking with the bell part / top of the bag pushing my neck and head forward. And one plus that I did not foresee: often I have found myself carrying my horns up and down tight stairwells and shorter doorways. My full size bags would almost always catch on the top of the doorway and I would have to (uncomfortably and awkwardly) squat down with the horn on my back. That has not been an issue with this bag.

The body and bell fit beautifully. They are easy to get in and out of the bags, they zip up easily and all is secure and very well padded. The King 2341 is not easy to carry around without the bag. Especially with the recording bell. A beast to carry to be frank and thus open to damage when doing so. I now have a way to easily transport the horn and keep it protected when it sits all day at work before an evening gig. Kudos to David and Messina Covers. If you’re looking for a very well made gig bag, custom design or not, I highly recommend Messina Covers.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Michael Grant
Wessex HB24 BBb Helicon
King 2341
circusboy
4 valves
4 valves

Post by circusboy »

I've gotta say that setup looks really great, Michael. Kudos to you and Messina.