Choice of mouthpiece for Firebird?

The bulk of the musical talk
Z-Tuba Dude
5 valves
5 valves

Choice of mouthpiece for Firebird?

Post by Z-Tuba Dude »

I recently acquired a Firebird, and I'm fairly happy with the mouthpiece I'm using, but I'm curious about what other mouthpieces people have found to be successful with that horn.
guillaumedu
bugler
bugler

Re: Choice of mouthpiece for Firebird?

Post by guillaumedu »

Wedge SJ and before this mouthpiece i used Miraphone Tu23
Freelancer
Tuba and Euphonium teacher at cégep ste-foy
Euphonium teacher at université Laval.

Rudolf meinl 5/4 CC
miraphone Firebird
MWN-7 handmade Nirschl
GeoffC_UK
bugler
bugler

Post by GeoffC_UK »

Used with a Norwegian Star:
> Perantucci PT-64
> Breslmair F3B
YorkNumber3
pro musician
pro musician

Post by YorkNumber3 »

Years ago when I had a Firebird I liked the Mira C4 and the Laskey 28C.
Robert Tucci
TubeNet Sponsor
TubeNet Sponsor

F-Tuba Moutjhpieces

Post by Robert Tucci »

Depending on the application, the RT-64S, RT-65S work very well. These have a long history of F-tuba specific development and use. The RT-62 is new, has the "S" shank and along with the RT-40 or Andreas Martin Hofmeir "Paul", is an excellent general purpose mouthpiece. Here the orientation is toward a broad middle register and strong low register. Please note: the RT (Robert Tucci) brand is for the United States. PT (Perantucci) mouthpieces of our manufacturer are no longer supplied to the former US distributor. These are available in Europe and the Far East only.

Good Fortune in your musical endeavors.

Bob Tucci
Roger Lewis
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Roger Lewis »

I like the Miraphone TU27 Rose Solo mouthpiece on the Firebird. Pretty sound and even better intonation. It is very similar to the C4 or TU23 (new number for the C4) tgg gf at chops with the firebird, but it has a nicer sound and, to me, was a bit more comfortable. Great horn! You’ll love it.
"The music business is a cruel and shallow trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." Hunter S Thompson
Roger Lewis
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Roger Lewis »

I loaned my B&S f tuba to Gene Pokorny and he fell in love with the Bruno Tilz M2 mouthpiece I was using. He said it did wonders for his firebird and he had to have it. So I gave it to him. That kind of appraisal speaks volumes but you’d probably have to order it from Thomann.
"The music business is a cruel and shallow trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." Hunter S Thompson
A.N.Other
bugler
bugler

Post by A.N.Other »

My Firebird clone works perfect with a Giddings Matanuska. What I especially like about this particular mouthpiece is the balance between high and low register for both - sound and intonation. Bigger pieces caused more effort and intonation issues in the upper register plus a mellow and muffled low register, smaller/narrower pieces gave less access to the low register and a less colorful sound.
rodmathews
bugler
bugler

Post by rodmathews »

I use the Giddings Baer MMVI F on my Elektra - I think Al designed it for the Firebird specifically. For me, nothing else comes close to lighting the horn up. Morris Kainuma made the recommendation and he was spot on.
circusboy
4 valves
4 valves

Post by circusboy »

+1 on the Giddings Matanuska. I also liked a Schilke 66 when playing F tubas.