Long term storage of a tuba

The bulk of the musical talk
Tubachin
bugler
bugler

Long term storage of a tuba

Post by Tubachin »

Tubenetters, My tuba playing friend passed away and his wife wants to keep his tuba around as a reminder of him, his love of music and the tuba. The horn will not be played and she would like the three piston valves to move, like it did when he played the horn. She has given me the horn to be cleaned.

Knowing that the valves won't be oiled, what do you suggest I do to keep the valves operational? I'm thinking that I will clean it and leave the valves dry (no oil), thinking that old oil might cause the valves to stick.

Any other thoughts are appreciated...
Matt Chin
Yarmouth, Maine
MW2182W
Cerveny F Helicon
alloybrass
bugler
bugler

Re: Long term storage of a tuba

Post by alloybrass »

Hi Matt,

First, I’m sorry for your loss.

When the valves on my unplayed horns stick it’s because they’ve dried out. No oil at all would subject the metal to oxidation, and possibly permanent seizing. I’m not an instrument technician, but I’d go the direction of a heavier oil or a light grease to protect the valves, applied sparingly of course. The valves wouldn’t be quick, but they’d be movable.

All the best to you and yours.
Rick F
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Rick F »

Tubachin wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 10:03 pm (snip) I'm thinking that I will clean it and leave the valves dry (no oil), thinking that old oil might cause the valves to stick.
This is exactly the right thing to do! I had to stop playing for about three months due to illness and someone recommended that I clean and dry but apply NO OIL. This didn't sound right to me but it was the right thing to do. After my illness the valves were just fine.
Miraphone 5050 - Warburton mpc (Brandon Jones)
YEP-641S (on long-term loan to grandson)
DE mpc (102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank)
Snake Charmer
bugler
bugler

Post by Snake Charmer »

All technical parts will last better when well lubricated (except electrical contacts :D ). Important is to use enough of quality oil after properly cleaning and drying out valves and horn. And if played for a few minutes after some storage time you have to repeat this: cleaning, drying and oiling. This way the valves may be a bit sluggish after a year (or longer), but they will move freely and not seize, what most probably will happen when stored dry for a long period. Same for the tuning slides!
Dylan King
YouTube Tubist
YouTube Tubist

Post by Dylan King »

I have many instruments that I rarely play, and like to oil them with Marvel Mystery Oil for long-term storage. It slightly gums-up the valves, making them slow, but they’ll remain lubricated for years, and when you want to play once again, some regular valve oil will bring them right back to snuff.

Here’s a video I did some years back about this…

https://youtu.be/Dcp4O77DfPo

All the best!

Dylan
Mira 291 CC
Yorkbrunner CC
Eastman CC
YFB-822 F
YFB-621 F
PT-10 F Clone
MackMini F
YBL622 B-TB
YSL891Z TB
Xeno Bb/C Trps
Taylor Bb/C Trp
Eclipse C Trp
Yamaha C Pic
Lawler C7 Trp
Osmun Corumpet
Carol Pocket Trp
Schagerl Gansch Horn
Monette Ajna Trumpet
Tubachin
bugler
bugler

Post by Tubachin »

Thanks for everyone's inputs, much appreciated...
Matt Chin
Yarmouth, Maine
MW2182W
Cerveny F Helicon