Scanning sheet music for tablet

The bulk of the musical talk
big_blue_tubist
bugler
bugler

Scanning sheet music for tablet

Post by big_blue_tubist »

I'd like to find out what everyone else is using to scan their sheet music in for use on a tablet. I have had NO luck using any phone scanner apps. They are way too inconsistent. I take the "picture" and they come out with a blur about 3 times out of 10. Maybe my phone camera is just sub-par?

For reference, I'm using MobileSheets pro on an Android tablet, and have a Google Pixel 4a.

Thanks in advance,

Wes
Franken-King 1241
Giddings Taku
The Brute Squad
bugler
bugler

Re: Scanning sheet music for tablet

Post by The Brute Squad »

You might be able to have some luck by getting a tripod for your phone (so you aren't holding it and introducing motion blur) and standing the music up on a tabletop stand.

If you have access to an actual scanner, though, that's definitely the best choice.
Joe K

Player of tuba, taker of photos, breaker of things (mostly software)

Miraphone 181 F w/ GW Matanuska/Yamaha John Griffiths
Kalison Daryl Smith w/ Blokepiece (#2 32.6, Orchestra Grand Cup, Symphony American shank)
Yane
bugler
bugler

Post by Yane »

The Adobe scan app is pretty good in my experience. By the specs I doubt the camera is the limiting factor, but you do need steady hands and good light; the phones flash should be an option.
David

King 1241, B&H Eb, Sterling Euph, King 1250
Lake Murray Symphony; Columbia Community Concert Band; Capitol Brass; Die Lustigen Muzikanten; Seed and Feed Marching Abominable
West Columbia, SC
DiveBomber
bugler
bugler

Post by DiveBomber »

I have an iphone and use the default notes app to organize my music into folders (I should probably switch). Within the notes app there is an option to scan documents. This usually works really well and any issues can be fixed with the cropping tool included in the feature. Icloud automatically syncs this to my Ipad but I am sure it wouldn't be hard to find an analog for android devices.
tjrwls907
bugler
bugler

Post by tjrwls907 »

I am currently using Samsung's Galaxy Tab Ultra.
I'm buying an application called "ClearScanner" when I scan music.
When you scan a score using a camera, if it is scanned blurry, you can think of shaking during filming. But if it's not like that, it could be a problem with its own application.
Try many scanning applications!
timothy42b
3 valves
3 valves

Post by timothy42b »

I use Mobilesheetz on a Samsung android tablet.

I scan with my iPhone, save to Google Drive, rename in Google Drive, and import into the tablet. MS has a good import feature.

In the past I renamed before saving but the latest iPhone update removed the simple way to do that.

Occasionally I'll get a scan that is off plane and twisted, and I have to rescan. Also some scans come out light, and I haven't figured out why. But on the whole the iPhone approach works well and the camera is considerably better than the tablet camera.