6/4 Recommendations

The bulk of the musical talk
ArmstrongPrincipal
lurker
lurker

6/4 Recommendations

Post by ArmstrongPrincipal »

Hello there! I am in the market for a 6/4 cc tuba, and would love some personal opinions on what you all think would be the best tank for me. I would like some opinions on how the different tubas play in relation to their size. I currently play on a willson 3050s but would like something larger. I will post in the wanting to buy section for those attempting to sell, or private message me. Post away!
Thanks
:tuba: :tuba:
My boulder, my rock, my tank,
My Willson 3050s :)
Somarithedark
bugler
bugler

Re: 6/4 Recommendations

Post by Somarithedark »

I currently play on the Wessex Chicago Presence, and I was recently at the US Army Workshop where I really enjoyed playing the Eastman 6/4's, Wessex Chicago York, and the ZO Thunderbird. I've been playing 6/4 tubas for almost a year at this point.

I have a love-hate relationship with the Chicago Presence. I love the sound I can get out of it, but boy do you have to work hard on these kinds of horns to get that sound to come out. and by working hard, I mean that any little bit of tension anywhere in the face or body makes your tone suffer, followed by pitch. The 18"bell makes it stand out as a 6/4 york clone that can really project out into halls with a more clear and articulate sound. I personally find that it is also easy to fit your sound into other sections, like trombones, horns, double basses, celli. It gives you the freedom to change your tone colors at-will. Besides my first point, my only other criticism is that I wish the valve springs weren't so heavy.

The Chicago York is essentially the same as the Presence but with the traditional 20" bell. The sound was definitely warmer and I could hear more of my sound while sound sitting underneath the bell. Also, definitely more resonate than the 18" bell. The trade-off is that I didn't get that flexibility of tone color in my articulations. Still a solid choice for the price.

I imagine that a LOT of people are going to suggest the Eastman horns. they're the big thing right now. After trying them out, I see why: Very responsive sound, Nice ergonomics, the valves were silky and shorter in action. If you weren't looking for a specific sound, this horn seems to be the all-around achiever. But, like all 6/4's, it takes a big learning curve to get comfortable playing on them and have a solid, consistent sound on them. I think that's the reason why so many of them go back up on the market; many have trouble committing to the demands of the horn.

Lastly, the ZO Thunderbird was a culture shock for me. My sound came shooting out of that horn like it was nothing. Intonation was also great, along with the valve speed. My concept of sound spoke easier on this tuba than my Chicago Presence. Definitely worth looking into this gem by Mack Brass.

I've only mentioned Chinese manufactured horns here, and I can't say much about the handcrafted stuff because I just haven't gotten my hands on any of them. Hope this helps.
"Shouldn't we all be practicing right now?"

Reece Ashley
reeceash2000@gmail.com
Miraphone 283 "Norweigan Star" 5/4 Eb
Wessex "Chicago Presence" 6/4 CC
Boston Conservatory Tuba Performance 2025
ArmstrongPrincipal
lurker
lurker

Thank you!
Sousaswag
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Sousaswag »

You’re sure you want to get rid of that 3050? A great 5/4 will do everything you want and need it to!

If you’re certain, my favorite 6/4 of the York copies is the HB-50 or the Adams if money is no object. They offer something a little different to my ear, and I like how they feel in the lower register.

Of the Chinese stuff, hands down my favorite was the ZO. I’m just not so sure about their longevity compared to the European stuff.

I can’t deny though that the Eastmans are by far the most consistent of any 6/4, period. I like them, but there’s something about the ZO that stuck out to me, and the Eastman wasn’t worth the extra $2K or so.
Meinl Weston 5450RA Tuono
Willson 3200RZ-5
ArmstrongPrincipal
lurker
lurker

Sousaswag wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 7:36 pm You’re sure you want to get rid of that 3050? A great 5/4 will do everything you want and need it to!

If you’re certain, my favorite 6/4 of the York copies is the HB-50 or the Adams if money is no object. They offer something a little different to my ear, and I like how they feel in the lower register.

Of the Chinese stuff, hands down my favorite was the ZO. I’m just not so sure about their longevity compared to the European stuff.

I can’t deny though that the Eastmans are by far the most consistent of any 6/4, period. I like them, but there’s something about the ZO that stuck out to me, and the Eastman wasn’t worth the extra $2K or so.
Thank you so much! What about the ZO stuck out to you?
Sousaswag
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Sousaswag »

The particular one I got my hand on (Midwest Conference) was SO in-tune, and was easier for me to play in the basement register than the Eastmans.

To be fair, the Adams was the best horn at that particular conference for me, but they’re also upwards on $15,000.
Meinl Weston 5450RA Tuono
Willson 3200RZ-5
The Brute Squad
bugler
bugler

Post by The Brute Squad »

I have a BMB J-865 in the For Sale section. Like all York-style 6/4s, it has its intonation quirks, but it has a very open low register, especially sub-G1 because of its dependent 5th valve.
Joe K

Player of tuba, taker of photos, breaker of things (mostly software)

Miraphone 181 F w/ GW Matanuska/Yamaha John Griffiths
Kalison Daryl Smith w/ Blokepiece (#2 32.6, Orchestra Grand Cup, Symphony American shank)
tubalex
pro musician
pro musician

Post by tubalex »

The Willson 3050 is a very heavy instrument. UT owns one and it sits in the corner of my office most of the time. Everytime I pick it up I enjoy the depth of tone for about five minutes, then it starts to hurt my back, and after a half hour I'm using so much muscle in my face to get it to respond that my face hurts. Also, the Willson's ergonomics were clearly not designed to accommodate my beer belly.

Most of the Chinese 6/4's these days have much lighter metal than the Willson. The copies of the Mirphone 186 also benefit from the light metal, as far as easy response and vibrant tone color. You may find that the thickness of the metal and ergonomics will matter at least as much as the size of the tuba if/when you change horns.

As an all-around tuba I still prefer my 6/4 Eastman. I use that in lessons, solo recitals, quintets and orchestras and it makes each job easy. I have always needed to spend a lot of my daily fundamentals keeping my low-register operational regardless of the many, many C tubas I've owned over the past 30 years, and keeping with that regimen I have never struggled with the low register with my Eastman.

I did get to play the Wessex with the bigger bell a while back, and I was very intrigued to try it out on some big Russian orchestral literature, but I didn't find it to be as versatile as the Eastman. I currently prefer to only play one C tuba, as my family and teaching keep me too busy to practice enough to be ready to bring multiple C tubas out in public, so I'm sticking with my Eastman.

Here are couple examples of my horn being big, but clear, nimble and easy to play:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZ2iXsPw8m8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VaQTy8GMVqk

I haven't tried the other Chinese instruments discussed here.

The Meinl Weston, Yamaha and Adams 6/4 tubas are absolutely fantastic. If you can afford them, go for it. I'm very much enjoying having a great 6/4 to play and still having enough for big non-tuba life expenses.
Alexander Lapins, DM
Eastman Musical Instruments Artist
University of Tennessee Faculty
Blue Lake Fine Arts Camp Faculty
Quintasonic Brass
http://www.music.utk.edu/faculty/lapins.php
arpthark
5 valves
5 valves

Post by arpthark »

tubalex wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 8:36 am The Willson 3050 is a very heavy instrument. UT owns one and it sits in the corner of my office most of the time. Everytime I pick it up I enjoy the depth of tone for about five minutes, then it starts to hurt my back, and after a half hour I'm using so much muscle in my face to get it to respond that my face hurts. Also, the Willson's ergonomics were clearly not designed to accommodate my beer belly.

Most of the Chinese 6/4's these days have much lighter metal than the Willson. The copies of the Mirphone 186 also benefit from the light metal, as far as easy response and vibrant tone color. You may find that the thickness of the metal and ergonomics will matter at least as much as the size of the tuba if/when you change horns.

As an all-around tuba I still prefer my 6/4 Eastman. I use that in lessons, solo recitals, quintets and orchestras and it makes each job easy. I have always needed to spend a lot of my daily fundamentals keeping my low-register operational regardless of the many, many C tubas I've owned over the past 30 years, and keeping with that regimen I have never struggled with the low register with my Eastman.

I did get to play the Wessex with the bigger bell a while back, and I was very intrigued to try it out on some big Russian orchestral literature, but I didn't find it to be as versatile as the Eastman. I currently prefer to only play one C tuba, as my family and teaching keep me too busy to practice enough to be ready to bring multiple C tubas out in public, so I'm sticking with my Eastman.

Here are couple examples of my horn being big, but clear, nimble and easy to play:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZ2iXsPw8m8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VaQTy8GMVqk

I haven't tried the other Chinese instruments discussed here.

The Meinl Weston, Yamaha and Adams 6/4 tubas are absolutely fantastic. If you can afford them, go for it. I'm very much enjoying having a great 6/4 to play and still having enough for big non-tuba life expenses.
Surprise appearance by some Kentucky folks in your videos. Great guys. Definitely wasn't expecting to browse TubeNet and see Vince D. make an appearance.
tclements
TubeNet Sponsor
TubeNet Sponsor

Post by tclements »

I have both Wessex' Presence, and the York; I use them all the time. If you want to discuss further, please feel free to contact me.

Tony Clements