Willson 3400: Erickson vs. Compact

The bulk of the musical talk
BTripp
bugler
bugler

Willson 3400: Erickson vs. Compact

Post by BTripp »

Looking for insight on the 2 different versions of 5 valve piston Willson 3400 Ebs. Are they 2 different versions of the same beast or are the designed for different applications? Both good chamber and all around horns or do they each have their niche? Thanks for your thoughts and experience. Bernie
Sousaswag
3 valves
3 valves

Re: Willson 3400: Erickson vs. Compact

Post by Sousaswag »

The 3400 Compact is THE best bass tuba I’ve played. Ever. I would absolutely LOVE to own one. Less of a do everything tuba than the big one, but my goodness does it play well. Impeccable pitch and a great low register with a great sound.
This is a great chamber group and solo horn and is hugely popular in the brass band world.

Unfortunately, they are rare, and your only option is really to buy new.

The big 3400 is a great chamber horn as well as a one-tuba sort of horn that has better intonation than any of their F tubas. Arguably more of a contrabass tuba sound comes from this one. This is a great tuba as well, and would fit into any situation you’d like to put it in.

Of the two, the Compact is my favorite, but the big one is no slouch.
Meinl Weston 5450RA Tuono
Willson 3200RZ-5
DouglasJB
4 valves
4 valves

Post by DouglasJB »

The big one is I hope the next horn I purchase
Jess Haney
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Jess Haney »

I have the 3400 and I love it as an all around horn. The compact model is quite good although definitely a great chamber horn. It is really up to you as either are great Eb's.
Brass Band Tacoma
Puget Brass
Willson BBb 3100 FA5
Willson Eb 3400 FA5

..and a miriad of other JUNK not worth mentioning.