Besson 3V top action...what is it?

The bulk of the musical talk
mikey70
lurker
lurker

Besson 3V top action...what is it?

Post by mikey70 »

I'm looking at two Besson BBb Tubas. Both are 3V and top pistons in excellent condition. One has the bell engraved: Besson London International Made in England BE-787 the the s/n dates it to 1998. Certainly not the glory years, but nevertheless made in England should give me some confidence. Pictures of the second one are enclosed, since it does NOT say made in England I can assume it was not. Since it also says B&H England it must be sometime before 2002 or whenever the breakup occurred. I have read they made student horns in India. Surely these would be considered student horns but that's really all I need. Am I correct in thinking they would still be better in the long run than a new Schiller 3V? The 700 is priced at 1200 and the 787 about half of that.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Heavy_Metal
5 valves
5 valves

Re: Besson 3V top action...what is it?

Post by Heavy_Metal »

I once had a 787 and found it punched well above its weight. I'd gotten it for when I had to play standing up, but sold it some time after I got the helicon.

On the 700, look at the serial number. Mine said 700 on the bell stencil, but the serial number started with 787 which was the actual model number. Let us know what you find.
Principal tuba, Bel Air Community Band
Old (early 1900s?) Alexander BBb proto-163
1976 Sonora (B&S 101) 4-rotor BBb
1964 Conn 20J/21J BBb (one body, both bells)
1970s Marzan Slant-rotor BBb
~1904 York 3P BBb Helicon
Old Alex Comp.F, in shop
TubaBeage
bugler
bugler

Re: Besson 3V top action...what is it?

Post by TubaBeage »

The Besson 700 series of instruments were an intermediate range (post Imperial/Regent) that was made by Besson / Boosey & Hawkes in England up to the 1990s. The range included most Brass Band Instruments including 3v top action compensated tubas and 4v top action non compensated tubas. The 3v compensated model is the same pattern as the old Imperial, but made from thinner material and is much more resonant and a bit lighter in weight. I have one it plays very well and in tune.