Mouthpiece Recommendations for a MW 2250

The bulk of the musical talk
Isaiah_Buzdygon
bugler
bugler

Mouthpiece Recommendations for a MW 2250

Post by Isaiah_Buzdygon »

Obviously everyone is different, but I’m looking for some ideas on mouthpieces to try in my new 2250. Haven’t been thrilled with any of my choices so far. Any input would be appreciated!

Isaiah
Shires Q40
MM-Baylor University
BFA-Indiana University of Pennsylvania
T. J. Ricer
pro musician
pro musician

Re: Mouthpiece Recommendations for a MW 2250

Post by T. J. Ricer »

For that style of F tuba, I’d start with trying a Conn Helleberg 7B… if you want to go fancier, you could try the AMH “Paul,” a Laskey 28H or a Roylance Solo.

-T. J.
Thomas J. Ricer, DMA
Royal Hawaiian Band - University of Hawaii at Manoa - Yamaha Performing Artist

http://www.TJRicer.com

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." -John Lennon
joshwirt
pro musician
pro musician

Post by joshwirt »

When I had a 2250 (wishing every day that I had kept it, but alas, it's in good hands with its current owner), I really liked the PT/RT64's and 65's. Also the 64S/65S depending on the ensemble and desired response. My students who play/played the JP version of this horn both settled on 64S or 65S's as the best all-around mp for them as well.

At the time, I didn't have the MrP 6.4 or 6.5 but since acquiring those, I generally prefer those rim profiles (again, for me and my face) as well as the color of sound and clarity of articulations as it allows me to get closer to the sound in my head on my 46SLZ.

If stainless is your thing, some also like the sound/response of the Baer MMVI's but I just can't play that wide of a mouthpiece on F tuba (I have a few of them for sale btw). I know some players prefer the GW Kronos on piston F's like 2250's and 822's.

The other one I'd highly recommend for the 2250 would be the RT72 (if you're looking for something slightly wider).

Good luck!!

JW
Elmhurst University - Applied Professor of Tuba/Euphonium
Elmhurst Symphony - Principal Tuba
Wintergreen Music Festival - Principal Tuba
New Chicago Brass
Ottava Quartet
cbettler
bugler
bugler

Post by cbettler »

That’s great advice from Josh! The only thing I would add in that mix, if you like stainless steel, would be the Giddings John Dicesare F mouthpiece.
Chris Bettler
Tuba Instrumentalist, US Navy Music Program