YFB-621 as a big euphonium?

The bulk of the musical talk
arpthark
5 valves
5 valves

Re: YFB-621 as a big euphonium?

Post by arpthark »

I knew of a professional tuba player who would play the 1st euphonium parts in a tuba quartet on his F tuba, so I don't think what you're asking is totally unheard of, despite what some folks are saying. Where are you located? If you're in the NYC/New England area and willing to drive to CT, I just received one of the new YFB-621 clones if you want to come try it out.
hubert
3 valves
3 valves

Post by hubert »

http://www.cerveny.biz/bariton/cep_733-5mrex.php

This might be an affordable alternative to the Alexander 151?
And, perhaps, the Miraphone 5 valve Kaiserbariton......???

Hubert
hubert
3 valves
3 valves

Post by hubert »

Another idea??: Tübchen from the shop of Bernd Jestädt in Germany. Originally meant as a tuba for children, but also otherwise used. Ver positively reviewed. Prices between Euro 8000 and 10.000, depending on variant.
https://jestaedt-instrumente.de/instrumente/tuebchen/

Hubert
Renodoc
bugler
bugler

Post by Renodoc »

Interesting idea. I got asked to play in a oompah band. I'm one of two tuba players but we're finding our baritone/euphonium player is needing some help. I was going to work on my Euphonium chops and play it on my euphonium but I just picked up a YBB621 and I'm wondering how playing the baritone part on that might work. The other tuba player is playing on a full size eastman tuba
Andy Pasternak
Family Doc in the Biggest Little City
Hirsbrunner HB7
SethLegare
lurker
lurker

Post by SethLegare »

Update:

I bought a Wessex British F tuba and I love it. In the middle register it feels exactly like I imagined. It's responsive, easy to play in tune, and makes a lovely sound with it's little 13" bell. Yes, the compensating system has some stuffiness, but it's not that bad, and I'm not going to be playing in that range much. I picked up this instrument and it just landed perfectly in my lap, my fingers landed right on the valves with way less strain than when playing my euphonium, and it played so easily, especially in the staff and above.

I also tried their Linz F (wacky low C, odd response throughout compared to what I'm used to), Festivo (good, but I missed the left hand thumb ring they used to put on. Felt heavy), Sinfonico (a bit uneven; I absolutely adored a large chunk of the range, but it had some weird notes like Eb above the staff and high A), and the French C (HUGE slots, I could play anywhere from B to a sharp C open, and the left hand 3 valves didn't fall under my fingers quite right). YMMV. I was definitely not playing at my best and was quite tired, and haven't played a ton of instruments.