Cerveny Helicon CHL 631-4X Mouthpiece recommendations etc

The bulk of the musical talk
toakstertuba
bugler
bugler

Cerveny Helicon CHL 631-4X Mouthpiece recommendations etc

Post by toakstertuba »

I just (yesterday) picked one of these bad boys up at my local shop for a steal! I'm the second owner and it was bought new in 2002. Loving it so far, but I have a couple questions for anyone who owns one or has in the past.

1. Mouthpiece recommendations? It seems to have the Kaiser receiver size. My Euro shank pieces go in most of the way, but even PT mouthpieces bottom out. I've got a shank adapter that I'm able to use any mouthpiece with that doesn't seem to negatively impact the sound. Most of my current mouthpieces have funnel shaped cups and I know I've had good luck with more of the Geib (bowl) shaped cups with Rotary valve horns of the past...seems to benefit from a shallower cup from what I've experimented with so far as well.

2. Bit or no bit? It came with one (King?) that doesn't seem to fit (it wants to fall out easily), so I've got a Yamaha sousa bit coming that I'm going to try out. So far, intonation seems to perhaps be easier to manage with the bit in. I'm curious if anyone out there found intonation to be easier with any particular configuration of mouthpiece / bits.

3. Any other general recommendations for these horns?

How bout that main tuning slide at the top?! Preliminary findings tell me I will be using it quite a bit.
Thanks in advance for anyone who chimes in with experience with these horns.