Music for Lalo Schifrin's "Tuba Concerto"

The bulk of the musical talk
Northern
pro musician
pro musician

Music for Lalo Schifrin's "Tuba Concerto"

Post by Northern »

Hello Troops,
Here is information on the acquisition/rental of the Schifrin “Tuba Concerto.” Lalo Schifrin’s music had been available through Scherzo Music, but (as I found out last week), that is no longer the case. In fact, it is transitioning to a company called Keiser. By next week, it should be set.

There is a live recording of the Redlands (California) Symphony conducted by Ransom Wilson premiering the piece on 3/3/2018. I cannot even find it on the internet these days. What I do remember is that I was borrowing an F tuba for that performance and it was not terrifically ideal, especially in the low register. Additionally, I now look at the piece as being much different than when I first approached it.

On the Chicago Symphony radio broadcasts, the piece has not as yet been scheduled. I do promise it will be different than the performance from 5+ years ago.

Cheers, gene
ErinBliss
lurker
lurker

Re: Music for Lalo Schifrin's "Tuba Concerto"

Post by ErinBliss »

I had actually been wondering about that. Thanks for the info, Gene!
Dylan King
YouTube Tubist
YouTube Tubist

Post by Dylan King »

Thanks, Gene! I can’t wait to hear it!

Dylan
Mira 291 CC
Yorkbrunner CC
Eastman CC
YFB-822 F
YFB-621 F
PT-10 F Clone
MackMini F
YBL622 B-TB
YSL891Z TB
Xeno Bb/C Trps
Taylor Bb/C Trp
Eclipse C Trp
Yamaha C Pic
Lawler C7 Trp
Osmun Corumpet
Carol Pocket Trp
Schagerl Gansch Horn
Monette Ajna Trumpet
barry grrr-ero
4 valves
4 valves

Post by barry grrr-ero »

Schifrin was/is such an undervalued composer. I really want to hear this. Thank you for the update.
SethLegare
lurker
lurker

Post by SethLegare »

I heard your performance a couple few weeks ago, and it was certainly a fun piece. I feel like I'd like to listen to it a few times to appreciate it better, though, so I look forward to being able to purchase a recording or go to another performance! Being able to read along with a score would be great too (I have no hope of ever played it lol).