Buy F tuba or upgrade my BBb

The bulk of the musical talk
CooperBayliff
bugler
bugler

Buy F tuba or upgrade my BBb

Post by CooperBayliff »

Ok so, I currently am in highschool, going into my junior year, I know I am no professional. I made the top group in my city's youth symphony and some repertoire gets a little rough. I currently have a King 2341 (new version) and no f tuba. I have a love/hate relationshio with the king as it has a small bore but somehow magically makes up for it. I have finally reached a spot where the small bore is starting to limit my low range playing, specifically low D#/Eb and below and I have been looking around at potentially a Miraphone 1291 in Bb. I also have to hit quite a few high Eb's in wagner's die meistersinger, not exactly a piece I want to play on a Contrabass tuba. Considering the fact that I'm in highschool, I cant really get 2 used horns at the same time, so I just need to know which would be a better option, yes I have talked to my private teachers, and our conversation ended with "up to you" so I'm at a loss.
MW 195P Fafner - Doug Elliott MP
tylerferris1213
3 valves
3 valves

Re: Buy F tuba or upgrade my BBb

Post by tylerferris1213 »

The King 2341 is a fantastic intermediate tuba. What exactly are you struggling with in the low range? If it's intonation, a four-valve BBb will need some slide pulling starting at low Eb to be in tune. If you aren't pulling 1 or 4, you're likely lipping the note down, which would definitely cause a struggle.

As for your question, what kind of playing do you intend to do over the next few years? If you see yourself doing mostly band and orchestra stuff, you should upgrade to a better contrabass. If you see yourself doing more solo work, opt for an F. If it were me, I'd go for an F since you already have a fine BBb.

Also important to consider, what is your budget for a horn purchase?
Tyler Ferris
Wessex British F
York Monster Eb
Getzen CB-50 CC
Cerveny CBB-601 BBb
"Yamayork" Frankentuba Contrabass FF
CooperBayliff
bugler
bugler

Post by CooperBayliff »

tylerferris1213 wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 10:12 am What exactly are you struggling with in the low range?

As for your question, what kind of playing do you intend to do over the next few years?

Also important to consider, what is your budget for a horn purchase?
I'm struggling with getting more volume and/or projection out of my low range, I know not to do the whole "loosey goosey" type of blowing, but no matter what I try I feels like im trying to inflate the tuba into a balloon, I've tried other bigger bore horns and I find my low range is more fluid and comfortable on bigger horns.

Over the next few years I plan on more orchestra and band stuff and I do plan on trying out for NYO and going to college for a degree in performance.

My budget is around 5k-7k
MW 195P Fafner - Doug Elliott MP
tylerferris1213
3 valves
3 valves

Post by tylerferris1213 »

Gotcha. It sounds like a bigger contrabass would do you well if you're going to do that much ensemble playing. Out of curiosity, what does your teacher say about your 2341?
Tyler Ferris
Wessex British F
York Monster Eb
Getzen CB-50 CC
Cerveny CBB-601 BBb
"Yamayork" Frankentuba Contrabass FF
anotherjtm2
3 valves
3 valves

Post by anotherjtm2 »

I saw a post elsewhere today that mentioned it's now not uncommon for high school students to already have CC and F tubas when they apply to music school, which surprised me a little, but I can see it happening with some dedicated students.

That budget seems like about the minimum for finding an F tuba that you'd actually like, and be sure you try it in person.

I happen to think F is a fun size, and you might really enjoy it, but a Bb will likely be more useful for you right now.
John Morris
- 1960s CC Scherzer/Sander
peterbas
bugler
bugler

Post by peterbas »

So the King is holding you back playing low notes and is to hard to play the high notes.
Let me tell you as a first class expert, it is not the tuba it is you lacking. :shock:
circusboy
4 valves
4 valves

Post by circusboy »

anotherjtm2 wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 10:59 pm I saw a post elsewhere today that mentioned it's now not uncommon for high school students to already have CC and F tubas when they apply to music school, which surprised me a little, but I can see it happening with some dedicated students.
I can see it happening with some highly privileged students.
anotherjtm2
3 valves
3 valves

Post by anotherjtm2 »

That, too
John Morris
- 1960s CC Scherzer/Sander