Thoughts on financing for a horn

The bulk of the musical talk
CooperBayliff
bugler
bugler

Thoughts on financing for a horn

Post by CooperBayliff »

I've in the top ensemble for my local Youth Symphony, and I really need a bigger and better horn than what my underfunded highschool can provide. I have about 3.5k saved up and I do have a stable job, I looked on houghton horns and there is a miraphone 1291 for ≈9.5k, there is an option for financing on the website but I've never heard of anyone financing an instrument before. I don't know if this is a smart idea so I just want some financial advice.
MW 195P Fafner - Doug Elliott MP
Sousaswag
3 valves
3 valves

Re: Thoughts on financing for a horn

Post by Sousaswag »

No… Just, don’t.

You’re w a y too young to even consider financing something. Save the $$$ and buy something used when you’re ready. Or work more and save more.
Meinl Weston 5450RA Tuono
Willson 3200RZ-5
tylerferris1213
3 valves
3 valves

Post by tylerferris1213 »

I'll second Sousaswag. Save up. You may not even be eligible to finance a horn right now if you don't have a credit score. Right now, the best thing you can do is try LOTS of different horns. Figure out what you like and don't like about the ones you try. I would recommend writing your thoughts down so you can keep them all straight. You'll be more knowledgeable when you do eventually have the money to buy a good used horn.

Trust my advice. My first CC and F tubas were purchased because they were what "all the serious players use." They were great tubas from reputable manufacturers. The problem was that they were not horns I enjoyed playing. I eventually sold both of them when I came to that conclusion and eventually found a stable of horns that fit my playing needs.
Tyler Ferris
Wessex British F
York Monster Eb
Getzen CB-50 CC
Cerveny CBB-601 BBb
"Yamayork" Frankentuba Contrabass FF
MKTuba
bugler
bugler

Post by MKTuba »

Trust the advice of the two gentleman above. At your age it just doesn’t make sense to finance a tuba. If you absolutely *must* borrow money to make a tuba happen, only borrow from family, if that’s a possibility. They won’t ruin your financial situation should you have to miss a payment.
B&S 3198 (PT6P)
Wilson 3200s

BM Tuba Performance @ Michigan State
Fritztuba
bugler
bugler

Post by Fritztuba »

I completely agree with the previous posts. Do not get in debt for a tuba at your age unless you truly are an exceptional player and are definitely going to major in music with outstanding scholarships. You can also get a much better tuba than a 1291 for 9.5 grand. Look at a used PT6, PT6p, PT20, PT20p, or 188 for much less. Best wishes.
BrassoProfundo
bugler
bugler

Post by BrassoProfundo »

Cooper,

Sounds like you could benefit from some expert guidance from a good tubist and teacher. Generally, students learn to play on what they get from school and what their teacher plays, out of which you develop a style of playing on specific horn designs you can follow, or at least branch off from knowledgeably. I'd suggest finding good tuba teachers in your area and get some lessons and guidance, if you haven't yet. You might try more than one.

Teachers typically have ideas on the best horns for you to grow with, leads in their tubist network, dealers with whom they have relationships, and deals which might be available that might not yet even be on the market. Often, because of downsizing, collection-adjusting, or no longer playing (or dearly departed), sellers would sooner sell at friends & family rate to a passionate student they meet through a trusted professional than hold out for top dollar from complete strangers, no less go through the effort of managing a public sale. Many of the best horns and deals are brokered by insiders, and never get advertised.

Pros can also test specific horns you're considering, or have trusted testers do so remotely. Every tuba has its own unique qualities, strengths, and weaknesses. Even from leading makers/dealers, there are some not-worth-the-money-for-what-they're-asking tubas out there, or just not right for you, and there are some amazing down-market, used, and modified/custom horns just waiting to be discovered. It's among the unlikeliest, older, most thrashed or Frankentubas are found hidden gems that might be had for a deal. Many tubas are offered for sale by people who really don't know the value of what they're selling -- so it's up to buyers to be able to evaluate the true qualities of a horn: playability, timbre, intonation, durability, fit for your style of playing, size, ambition, finances, etc. then compare that to what's on the market. And based on that, make an informed offer. Often, if you've got a knowledgeable pro helping you who can make the case for what they think a tuba is really worth, sellers who know less will be convinced to accept your offer despite how it may compare to their opening asking price.

The best way to find out is by having a pro who knows you and your playing and whom you trust play prospective horns. And then you should play them, too, before finalizing a sale -- you need to be comfortable with what is ultimately your choice.

$3.5K is a good starting investment for an accomplished high-school player, which can afford you a variety of tubas very well suited to advanced youth/community orchestras, higher ed auditions, and degree programs. If you think you'll apply to music performance degree programs, I encourage you to start looking, and get a feel for where you aspire to go, think you could go, and who the tuba professors are there. They could be another source of guidance and leads to tubas.

After my first few years learning to play on my junior and senior high-school beat up old Miraphone, King, Conn, and Červený 6/4, I bought my first tuba through the teacher I had while I was in high-school (who played with the local symphony orchestra) and then, in senior year, through the tuba professor at the conservatory Saturday pre-college program where I had begun to study. Both got me great deals on hand-picked horns (OMG the stacked ringing overtones and the deal I got on that Červený Piggy!) which were well suited for me (skill level, physical size, ensembles in which I played, budget, etc). They also brokered sales of those horns to younger students when that time came.
Think song and wind, not meat and muscle. -Arnold Jacobs
Tuba, mirum spargens sonum, per sepulchra regionum, coget omnes ante thronum.
With tubas and the call of the rams horn shout with joy. בחצצרות וקול שופר הריעו