PT-6 Branding

The bulk of the musical talk
AndyPlaysTuba
lurker
lurker

PT-6 Branding

Post by AndyPlaysTuba »

Hey guys,

I play on a Pt-6, I think from the mid 2000s ish, and it has the PT-6 and Perantucci branding on it. A studio mate of mine also plays on a PT-6, but it only has the 3098 branding, no Perantucci branding. His looks much newer than mine so I'm just curious if there was a reason for the difference or if it was just a change over time. I looked on B&S' website and the "PT-6"s that they are selling have the Perantucci branding but not the PT-6 branding. \

I was also wondering if there is a way that I can find out when my horn was made. I bought it used but I did not ask when the previous owner had purchased it.
Andy Helvey

JMU SoM '27
PT-6 w/ Laskey 30H

A full life comes through a full sound and a full belly
Fritztuba
bugler
bugler

Re: PT-6 Branding

Post by Fritztuba »

Andy,
The Perantucci name was used in the US for many years though the original B&S numbering system (3098) was always used in Europe and the Perantucci name did not appear on the instrument. An example is I bought a 6P in Germany in 2003 when Perantucci was alive and well in the US and it did not say Perantucci and had the 3198 model number on the bell. There were some licensing issues I believe that I´m not sure about which changed things up and now the original European numbering system is used everywhere. There is also only direct sales from Buffet Crampon for B&S tubas now whereas before, there were dealers in the US. Many folks also don´t realize that Meinl Weston was a name for the US market. The real German name is Melton. This is a VERY rough explanation. I hope that gives you some clarity.
Robert Tucci
TubeNet Sponsor
TubeNet Sponsor

"B & S" PT-6 Branding

Post by Robert Tucci »

Andy,

The newer instrument without Perantucci nomenclature is of fairly recent production. The former U.S. distributor holds the PT trademark, as used on older instruments. More recent instruments are distributed directly by the manufacturer, without PT engraving. "B & S" Perantucci tubas sold in all countries other than the U.S. are engraved as such.

It was for the same reason that we rebranded PT mouthpieces of our manufacture to RT. Note that we own the Perantucci trademark for all European and most Far Asian countries including Japan, Taiwan, PRC and Australia. We hold the RT Robert Tucci and the Sousapower trademarks for the United States.

Either way, you have a fine tuba. The PT-6 was developed together with Herbert Fischbach and his staff in Klingenthal in the late Eighties. The PT-6P with piston valves followed shortly thereafter. As you know, both have a great sound, are rock solid in any orchestra and otherwise very efficient in the middle and low register.

Good Fortune in your musical endeavors.

Bob Tucci
Munich
AndyPlaysTuba
lurker
lurker

Re: PT-6 Branding

Post by AndyPlaysTuba »

Fritz and Bob,

Thank you both so much for your replies! I'm a younger player and I always find learning about the history and "lore" really interesting.

Bob,

Is there a way to actually date when my horn was made? Two of my studio mates have older horns themselves, one a 1999 Mirafone 186 and the other an older looking Perantucci PT-606p, and we are having a little competition on who has the oldest horn in the studio :lol:

Thanks again, Andy
Andy Helvey

JMU SoM '27
PT-6 w/ Laskey 30H

A full life comes through a full sound and a full belly