designing a simple live looper for low brass

The bulk of the musical talk
jbaylies
5 valves
5 valves

designing a simple live looper for low brass

Post by jbaylies »

I've been designing audio effect patches with a visual programming language called MaxMSP for a few years now, and the company that develops it, Cycling74, was kind enough to commission me to make an Extended Instrument Patch, so I put together a simple live looper that could serve as a fun encore for the end of a recital. Here's a video of the patch, which is available for free on their website.
c74 article wrote:Three drum clips serve as backing tracks, which use a stutter effect that tastefully auto-triggers. Use the 1, 2, or 3 key to start a drum clip, then press the spacebar to record an 8-bar loop with your instrument. Drum clips 1 and 3 are linked to a ducker that lowers the volume of the looper whenever the kick drum hits.

There are a few effects pre and post loop, which adjust themselves depending on whether you're recording a loop, or playing a solo over the loop. To keep your tone clean, a crossover filter allows bass frequencies to bypass the effect chain, and an "envelope crossfade" allows your attacks to be effected differently than your sustains.

Additionally, the plugin_or_rnbo_selector abstraction allows you to substitute any of the RNBO effects (compressor, pitch shifter, auto filter, chorus) with a plugin of your choice. Pressing the spacebar a second time will fade out the loop, and you can press the spacebar a third time to record another loop while the first one fades out.
To run the patch, you'll need to download the Max app as well. :tuba:
tylerferris1213
3 valves
3 valves

Re: designing a simple live looper for low brass

Post by tylerferris1213 »

I'm definitely going to check this out! I play sousaphone in a funk band. The band leader was on the hunt for a bass guitar player because he liked the idea of a hybrid tuba/bass sound on the bottom end, but I convinced him to stop his search because more members in the group means less money per person when we gig lol

Instead, I rigged up a Shu kick drum microphone holder to suspend a Shure SM57 microphone in my bell. Then I bought some guitar pedals and did some experimentation. I ended up sticking with a noise filter, an octave pedal, and a compression pedal. It really does make me sound like a bass guitar through an amp, and acoustically I still have that "sousaphone" sound.

The only downside is I now have to lug my sousaphone, pedal board, cables, AND a heavy bass amp to gigs and rehearsals... I think I'm going to negotiate a cartage fee lol
Tyler Ferris
Wessex British F
York Monster Eb
Getzen CB-50 CC
Cerveny CBB-601 BBb
"Yamayork" Frankentuba Contrabass FF
jbaylies
5 valves
5 valves

Post by jbaylies »

A noise gate, octaver, and compressor is all you really need! Lately I've been using my laptop (m1 macbook) with an audio interface (RME MADIface Pro) and a DI (Eventide MixingLink), along with a few plugins (Eventide Quadravox & Arturia Tube-Comp) for that sort of thing, but that's just because I'm running my LED bell on the laptop as well. Overall it's easier to just bring some pedals instead of a laptop.

Best of luck negotiating a cartage fee! I've never gotten one :(
tylerferris1213
3 valves
3 valves

Post by tylerferris1213 »

If the drummer isn't getting demanding a cartage fee, I probably won't either. Maybe a doubler's fee haha
Tyler Ferris
Wessex British F
York Monster Eb
Getzen CB-50 CC
Cerveny CBB-601 BBb
"Yamayork" Frankentuba Contrabass FF