Info about the Yamaha YCB-861

The bulk of the musical talk
That1TubaGuy
bugler
bugler

Info about the Yamaha YCB-861

Post by That1TubaGuy »

So since I've decided to hold on to my YCB-861, I've been very curious to find out more information about these horns. There's very limited information about these online, so I wanted to see if there's anyone here who would know a thing or two about these horns. I found it compliments my 2165 pretty well, and as much as I love that tuba, the Yamaha is great for when I need something a little more point-and-shoot or when I need something less "in-your-face".

From what I've heard this is one of a very few sold in the US (I guess there's not much demand here for anything other than a york-a-phone) and through tracking the serial, found it was made in the mid 90's.

What I do know: It seems to be most comparable to an Alex 163, but without the Alex intonation (most complaints I have about the pitch are just me not being able to use my favorite fingerings because of the super-flat-whole-step 5th valve) I've also been told it sounds somewhat similar to Warren Deck's old Conn as well, has a lot of depth for its size.
James Knight
Frost School of Music Class 2026
Yoshi
bugler
bugler

Re: Info about the Yamaha YCB-861

Post by Yoshi »

Not much, but this is what I know about YCB861. Aside from YCB826, YCB861 is the most expensive Yamaha tuba here in Japan (cost more than YFB822, YCB822 and YFB821), so it is bit rare to see people with YCB861 here too, I think (yorkish cc tubas are also popular here). You can still order one in Japan (but you need to order one, so you have to wait like 5 to 6 months) :tuba:

On the Japanese Yamaha website, it mentions that YCB861 was developped with same concept as YBB841 (rotary BB tuba, german style i think), and it has following info:
Height: 1018mm (40.08 in)
Bell: 450mm (17.72 in)
Bore: 20.7mm (0.815 in)

YCB861 (in Japanese)
https://jp.yamaha.com/products/musical_ ... oduct-tabs

YBB841 (in Japanese)
https://jp.yamaha.com/products/musical_ ... index.html
Mira185
lurker
lurker

Re: Info about the Yamaha YCB-861

Post by Mira185 »

Good morning,
I owned an 861 for about 5 years and found it to be a great horn. I was studying with Norm Pearson at the time and when I needed a bigger horn and he suggested I consider the 861. I found mine at Dillions. S/N 0000144. I eventually sold it to a local student as I found myself with 2 tubas and room for only one in the budget. Darn, I wished I kept it.

Once I bought mine, I had Robb Stewart extend the 5th valve slide to be a flat 2/3 combination. I keep an eye out for one for sale, but as you have commented they are hard to find.

I used my horn in a brass quintet, where it was a bit too big, others members liked the sound, concert band and orchestra. It is a great all-around horn and I had no serious intonation problems.
Just my 2 cents.