Did I rush into Buying a C tuba?

The bulk of the musical talk
IronySoup
lurker
lurker

Did I rush into Buying a C tuba?

Post by IronySoup »

I'm a Junior in high school, and recently bought a C Tuba for myself. I really like it, I mean, it's got its quirks, but I like the sound of it. on the other hand, my parents and band director don't really like the sound of it, and I'm experiencing some pretty hefty buyers' remorse.

should I resell and save up for another tuba later? should I just keep on trucking with this tuba?

I got it for college in the next couple years, and I've got this 4-valve Miraphone Bb 186. should I have just waited until college before purchasing this?

It's all very confusing, and requires a lot of thought on my end, which is dumb. I should be thinking less after buying something.
tylerferris1213
3 valves
3 valves

Re: Did I rush into Buying a C tuba?

Post by tylerferris1213 »

I'll start by saying it's good to learn other keys of tuba. Now you just have Eb and F to learn if you so wish! I'm sure everyone here is wondering what CC tuba you bought. I always recommend trying as many tubas as you can so you can figure out what is best for you. Pistons vs rotors, key, size, bell diameter, timbre of sound, etc. For me, I own at least one tuba in every key. I could care less about the piston vs rotor debate, so I own both styles. As for the timbre, I definitely lean heavily towards the classic American sound. I own different keys and sizes of tubas so that I have something appropriate for just about any style of music that needs a tuba. I even have a guitar pedal setup that I run my sousaphone through in a funk band! What I'm saying is, the more you try, the better your chances of making an informed decision when you decide to buy. Also, your taste in tubas may change over the years, so there's that.
Tyler Ferris
Wessex British F
York Monster Eb
Getzen CB-50 CC
Cerveny CBB-601 BBb
"Yamayork" Frankentuba Contrabass FF
IronySoup
lurker
lurker

Post by IronySoup »

I have a cerveny 4 + 1 681 cc tuba. Its intonation is throwing me for a spin with some of the lipping I’m having to do. Do you know of a way to sell if I decide that’s my best option?
tylerferris1213
3 valves
3 valves

Post by tylerferris1213 »

You have a few options:
1. Post it in the "for sale" section here on Tubenet.
2. Facebook marketplace. Just be careful of scammers and be ready for a low of lowballs and tire kickers.
3. You could have a store sell it on consignment if you don't want the hassle of selling it yourself.

Where are you located? If you're relatively close to Ohio and you want to consign it, I could handle that. I own a business; Ferris Brass.
Tyler Ferris
Wessex British F
York Monster Eb
Getzen CB-50 CC
Cerveny CBB-601 BBb
"Yamayork" Frankentuba Contrabass FF
Manbrass
bugler
bugler

Post by Manbrass »

Prior to making any impulsive decisions to sell, I would encourage you to invest more time in becoming better acquainted with your instrument. As a junior in high school, you are in a stage of considerable growth and development. Unless the instrument is universally out of tune or perhaps physically damaged, you might want to devote time to practice sessions with drones, emphasizing Long-tones, Flexibility, and Scales.

When I made the switch to a C tuba, at a similar point in my musical journey as you are now, I remember facing some opposition from my band directors, and initially, the quality of the playing I produced was AWFUL. However, with time, my performance notably improved. Unless your parents have a professional background in music or teaching, their judgment on acoustic matters may not be the most accurate.

Before you make any significant decisions, I recommend that you consult with a professional tuba player. Allow them to sample your horn and provide a well-informed assessment. The 681 model is far from a subpar tuba, in fact, it's an appropriate choice for where you are in the present time.

It appears you could greatly benefit from some structured practice sessions. Allocate some time to sit down and immerse yourself in comprehensive training. You'll find that this level of commitment and determination will yield positive results.
arpthark
5 valves
5 valves

Post by arpthark »

I also switched to CC tuba as a junior in high school, and also on a Cerveny 681 CC (albeit the 4-valve variant).

I remember feeling very, very foolish for a couple weeks. I had to write in fingerings, write "cheat notes" (underneath an F major arpeggio, writing 'think of this in Eb' for the BBb fingerings). My band director was also skeptical. I kept working hard, practiced after school every damn day, learned all my Blazheviches and Bordognis and Kopprasches and all that. Immerse yourself in the instrument.

I don't remember any epic lipping on the 681, but all instruments have a breaking-in period. Give yourself some time and grace, work with a tuner, keep at it and don't expect overnight results. If my parents' opinion on my sound colored my approach to the instrument, I probably would have given up as a middle school trombonist!
LukeIam
bugler
bugler

Post by LukeIam »

I wouldn’t let your band director influence any of this decision! Regardless of what you choose, YOUR tuba is YOUR choice and something that can ultimately benefit you greatly in the future should not be hindered by simply your high school band director not liking it.

You have less than two years left with this person and a whole future ahead of you, don’t let them mess that up because it’s not their preference. That’s not their decision to make.
Luke
tclements
TubeNet Sponsor
TubeNet Sponsor

Post by tclements »

Unless the tuba is a POS, a CC should not sound any better, or worse, than a BBb. If your band director is trashing you because you have a CC, (s)he's a dope.
anotherjtm2
3 valves
3 valves

Post by anotherjtm2 »

arpthark wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 11:07 am ... all instruments have a breaking-in period.
That's mostly for the player to get used to the new instrument enough that dealing with its distinct tuning is subconscious, right?
John Morris
- 1960s CC Scherzer/Sander
Leland
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Leland »

anotherjtm2 wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 1:12 am
arpthark wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 11:07 am ... all instruments have a breaking-in period.
That's mostly for the player to get used to the new instrument enough that dealing with its distinct tuning is subconscious, right?
It's all about finding the wrong notes that the factory left in the horn and blowing them out.