Switching between tubas during a performance

The bulk of the musical talk
rshuster
lurker
lurker

Switching between tubas during a performance

Post by rshuster »

I'm curious to hear how many tuba players have used two different tubas for a performance. My main horn is a BBb Mirafone. For a performance of Symphonie Fantastique last year, I played the first section on an Eb horn, switched to BBb for the Dies Irae for a heavier sound, and would have switched back to the Eb for the last page if I had felt more confident about Eb fingering (still getting it down) for those fast triplets up to the high F.

I know some recommend playing a higher horn for the Mahler 1 3rd movement, and I would definitely use my Eb for this if I did it again, and BBb for the other movements.

I would consider doing the same if I played the 2nd tuba part in Rite of Spring again, using the Eb for one or two of the higher sections.

Of course this depends on conductor preferences, too, but wondering if other players do this sort of thing.
windshieldbug
Once got the "hand" as a cue
Once got the "hand" as a cue

Re: Switching between tubas during a performance

Post by windshieldbug »

All the time!
Instead of talking to your plants, if you yelled at them would they still grow, but only to be troubled and insecure?
ErinBliss
lurker
lurker

Post by ErinBliss »

Yes, this isn't unusual at all. It's a pain in the neck (and back!) bringing multiple horns, but it's worth it to make the music right.
RotorJoe
lurker
lurker

Post by RotorJoe »

I've concert switched between a Wilson 3400 and an F cimbasso on a few occasions......kinda a pain especially when space is limited.
rshuster
lurker
lurker

Post by rshuster »

Definitely multiple problems: limited space, safety of the horn you're not playing, making sure there's enough time to switch, and picking up a cold horn.

I'd be curious to know what pieces you brought two horns for.
RotorJoe
lurker
lurker

Post by RotorJoe »

For me the cimbasso was utilized mainly with Italian pieces (Verdi, for example) and for certain 'blues' oriented numbers where the blend of the cimbasso with the 3 trombones was preferred over that of the tuba.