Tuba for a church around $2000

The bulk of the musical talk
mdc2d
bugler
bugler

Tuba for a church around $2000

Post by mdc2d »

The music director at my church back home (I'm at school still) emailed me and said the church has a budget of around $2000 to purchase an instrument for a member of the church to honk on. I saw the used King 2341's at dillon's for around that. Just wondering if anyone had any other good ideas. Thanks Matt C.
Rick Denney
Resident Genius

Post by Rick Denney »

schlepporello wrote:If your church is looking for a horn that they might have a chance at being able to get a return on their investment should they need to, a $2000 tuba will most likely not be the answer.The only way your church will get a decent return on the horn is to cough up the cash for a "Good New Quality" tuba. They won't find one for $2000.
I disagree. While I would probably avoid the forward-bell $2000 King at Dillons in favor of the $2400 upright-bell King, I would expect that either could be resold for a reasonable percentage of those prices.

Even the no-name VMI 103 would likely be a good instrument in their application at under $2000.

It sounds to me like the church is making an investment in one of their members who wants to play the tuba with the church orchestra but can't afford one, and I think that's a good investment no matter what the resale value might be. I'd rather have any of those three tubas than no tuba at all, and I can think of some tubas costing a lot more than I'd trade in on one of these.

Rick "thinking $2000 will get a perfectly decent used BBb tuba" Denney