How do-able is the Vaughan Williams concerto on BBb tuba?

The bulk of the musical talk
tuba
bugler
bugler

How do-able is the Vaughan Williams concerto on BBb tuba?

Post by tuba »

Wondering how do-able the V.W. concerto is on BBb? Especially the 2nd mvt?
Last edited by tuba on Wed Feb 21, 2024 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
tclements
TubeNet Sponsor
TubeNet Sponsor

Re: How do-able is the Vaughan Williams concerto on BBb tuba?

Post by tclements »

Not. And why? It was written for F.
tuba
bugler
bugler

Post by tuba »

tclements wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 1:02 pm Not. And why? It was written for F.
I think some years ago I saw someone (Army musician?) do it on CC in a recital. If CC is possible, seems like BBb might be in the realm of possibility.

Unfortunately, I sold my F tuba shortly after I completed my master's, more than 15 years ago, as I knew I did not intend to continue to a DMA.
windshieldbug
Once got the "hand" as a cue
Once got the "hand" as a cue

Post by windshieldbug »

tuba wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 7:30 pm
tclements wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 1:02 pm Not. And why? It was written for F.
I think some years ago I saw someone (Army musician?) do it on CC in a recital. If CC is possible, seems like BBb might be in the realm of possibility.

Unfortunately, I sold my F tuba shortly after I completed my master's, more than 15 years ago, as I knew I did not intend to continue to a DMA.
Without a doubt.
You have to be able to play it.
The F only makes it more secure.
Instead of talking to your plants, if you yelled at them would they still grow, but only to be troubled and insecure?
MikeS
bugler
bugler

Post by MikeS »

I remember seeing Tony Zilincik perform the first movement on a BBflat several years back at a NABBA solo competition. His performance was technically excellent and musically very engaging. If you can pick up your BBflat and make music, rather than just playing notes, by all means do it. I can’t really buy into the, “it was written for F,” argument. It sounds to me a lot like those folk who insist that any Beethoven played on a modern piano is not legitimate.
tclements
TubeNet Sponsor
TubeNet Sponsor

Post by tclements »

With all due respect, I beg to differ with MikeS. In college, I played it several times on CC. As a young professional, I played it once on CC. Yes, it IS playable on the contra, but it has a different character on F. I prefer it on F, AND it just SOUNDS right.
rollo
lurker
lurker

Post by rollo »

very doable. I played this on Bb for my senior recital that absolutely was not 20 years ago now (when did i get old?).

Was it great? not really, others are correct in saying that the character of the piece absolutely lies in the bass tuba.

Was it achievable? absolutely. To your question about the 2nd mvmt, flexibility around the high E will be your biggest challenge. it wants to sound effortless, but on a contrabass horn there will be considerably more effort to get there than on a bass horn. But if you've got the range, you can do it.
Wessex Viverna
Conn 20K naked lady (Valentina)

MBI - '06, contra
Madison Scouts - '07, contra
The Govenaires - '08 - 15, contra
The Govenaires - '07, '16, euphonium
The Govenaires - '17 - '22, contra
sgf
lurker
lurker

Post by sgf »

I really love to play the end of the first phrase on an F-tuba. You are making your way through that descending line, adding valves, extending the tuba, as you remain in the second partial. Then, after your tuba is as long as it gets, all valves pressed, while holding that pen-ultimate G-flat, you let go with all of your fingers and resolve the phrase by jumping to the first partial with that one fantastic pedal F. It feels great on an F-tuba.

I probably wouldn't hear a difference if someone played it on a Bb, but as a player, I just find it fun.

I think a reason it might be harder on a Bb tuba is that you are using your higher partials which are so much closer together. On a Bb-tuba, to hit that high Eb4 you need to nail the 12th partial with your first valve. The 11th partial is 149 cents flat, and the 13th partial is 141 cents sharp (theoretically anyways, assuming A4=440Hz). On an F-tuba, you only need to reach the 8th partial (also first valve). The 7th partial is 231 cents flat and the 9th partial is 204 cents sharp, so you've got a wider gap and little extra wiggle-room before your embouchure slips and you let out a sound that is less than musical or excite the wrong partial.
Melton Meinl Weston 2250 (F)
:tuba:
CooperBayliff
bugler
bugler

Post by CooperBayliff »

tuba wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 2:19 am Wondering how do-able the V.W. concerto is on BBb? Especially the 2nd mvt?
Yesterday I got a one at the solo competition for my state on a huge 5/4 Bb (I'm a junior in highschool). So yes it's playable, and its not that it doesn't sound "good" it just doesn't sound the same if that makes sense. Think like playing a cello concerto on a double bass.

Also I think its odd you specify the 2nd movement of the RVW, because (for me at least) the second movement is the easiest. You hardly go below the stave so you dont have to worry about crazy register changes like you do in the third movement.
MW 195P Fafner - Doug Elliott MP
doublebuzzing
3 valves
3 valves

Post by doublebuzzing »

Gene played it on the CSO York about 10 years ago and it was excellent. He felt CC was appropriate so I don't see why BBb wouldn't be. He says it is harder but prefers the sound of the CC

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjMuDlc ... yOrchestra