CC Tuba - 5th valve length

The bulk of the musical talk
Chris Mayer
bugler
bugler

CC Tuba - 5th valve length

Post by Chris Mayer »

Hi all,

I am considering to buy a new CC Tuba (Alex 163). What are your opinions, experiences on the length of the 5th valve and perhaps why ?
e.g.
- flat one tone
- 2 tone
- ….

best

Chris
tclements
TubeNet Sponsor
TubeNet Sponsor

Re: CC Tuba - 5th valve length

Post by tclements »

I was weaned on Mirafones that had the 2 tone 5th valve. I WAY prefer that to the long whole tone set up. The reason: once you get into the 5th valve going down (125 low Gb), you STAY in the 5th valve until you get to pedal CC. With the long whole tone set up, low E (234) is the only fingering to get that note in tune. So after Low F (45) you get low E (234), then low Eb (345), on down in the 5th valve. When I first got into the San Jose Symphony, I had all my tubas 5th valves (with Roger's suggestion) made into a 2 tone configuration. But as I moved around instruments, it got increasingly difficult to have this done. Now, all my horns are a long whole tone set up, one with which I have never been totally comfortable.
MKTuba
bugler
bugler

Post by MKTuba »

It’s all a matter of taste, said the duck…

I prefer the long whole step setup. That’s what I’ve always played, but I have experimented with other setups as well. The reason I like this is that you have a good, in tune, low f fingered 4-5 on the CC tuba. This is a common note, and having a fingering available that accommodates it is nice. I’ve also found that many 5th valves on tubas don’t center as well as the other 4 valves. EG, low Eb fingered 345 on my CC is more in tune, but is harder to center than 134. This is just my experience, so your mileage may vary. The long whole step is by far the most common option, and most tubas made today employ it.
B&S 3198 (PT6P)
Wilson 3200s

BM Tuba Performance @ Michigan State
Chris Mayer
bugler
bugler

Post by Chris Mayer »

thanks for your very valuable comments. After a 12 year Intermezzo playing french horn and playing double bass only during the last 3 years in our symphonie Orchestra (Akademische Philharmonie Heidelberg, https://www.orchester-heidelberg.de/) I am very eager to go back to my musical roots, tuba and basically leave the french horn aside.

I had a 2 tone setup on my PT15 and just forgot how it worked and responded down low :oops: I can also copy your statements, that different layouts i.e. masses can make a recognizable difference (without hearing the gras grow)

Maybe I ask Alexander to have a 5th valve set-up to be able to switch between 2 tone and 1+ tone for flexibility etc if required . As with the PT15 I eventally ended up with the 2 tone and left the 1+ aside.

chris
jonesbrass
4 valves
4 valves

Post by jonesbrass »

Chris Mayer wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 5:20 am Maybe I ask Alexander to have a 5th valve set-up to be able to switch between 2 tone and 1+ tone for flexibility etc if required . As with the PT15 I eventally ended up with the 2 tone and left the 1+ aside.

chris
X2

Get them to make both slides!
Willson 3050S CC, Willson 3200S F, B&S PT-10, BMB 6/4 CC, 1922 Conn 86I
Gone but not forgotten:
Cerveny 681, Musica-Steyr F, Miraphone 188, Melton 45, Conn 2J, B&M 5520S CC, Shires Bass Trombone, Cerveny CFB-653-5IMX, St. Petersburg 202N