Hybrid brass fiberglass sousaphone

The bulk of the musical talk
Happyhungarian
lurker
lurker

Hybrid brass fiberglass sousaphone

Post by Happyhungarian »

Hi all,
Has anyone seen, heard , or even played on a “hybrid sousaphone” w a brass bell? Would this configuration be an improvement over a fiberglass/ plastic horn?
A local HS band director is interested in this possibility for his marching band and I’m trying to find some opinions about this kind of sousaphone.
Thank you,
H. H.
iiipopes
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Re: Hybrid brass fiberglass sousaphone

Post by iiipopes »

As in the Jupiter? Nothing to be gained.
1) The main reason for using 'glass is weight. The heavier brass bell makes the souzy top-heavy and defeats the purpose.
2) Cost. No cost savings. Quite the opposite: for example, the Jupiter 'glass is @$5,300, the hybrid is @$7,500, and the brass is @$8,100 for lacquer, @$10,000 silverplate.
3) Tone. No improvement of tone due to the 'glass bugle.
Please do what you can to convince this errant band director to simply get 'glass souzys (whether real fiberglass, plastic, or resin) and save the time, school district's money, and the students' shoulders and backs. Just for reference, I have played both 'glass and brass souzys of just about all makes and models since the fall of 1976. My personal souzy is a reconditioned "real" (meaning - pre-Macmillan) Conn 36K with extra water keys and the first valve circuit converted to a moveable slide to correct intonation: pull for low valve combinations, push for 2nd space C.
Jupiter JTU1110, RT-82.
"Real" Conn 36K.
Happyhungarian
lurker
lurker

Re: Hybrid brass fiberglass sousaphone

Post by Happyhungarian »

Thank you for your thoughts