The bulk of the musical talk

Best CASE scenario for circusboy

The J. Winter hard case.
No votes
The Cronkhite leather bag.
10%
The Cronkhite nylon bag.
80%
Something I'm not thinking about (please specify)
10%

Total votes: 10

circusboy
4 valves
4 valves

Bag vs. Case

Post by circusboy »

I know this has come up here before, but I thought I'd solicit some current thinking on the subject.

I've got a BAT that I'd like to start taking places more frequently. Looks like I've got three options:

1. J. Winter hard case. About $1,000 new. Has wheels. 38 lbs (with tuba 63 lbs.!).
2. Leather Cronkhite gig bag. About $1,000 new. No wheels. Backpack straps. 16 lbs. (41 lbs. w/tuba)
3. Nylon Cronkhite gig bag. About $600 new. No wheels. Backpack straps. 9 lbs. (34 lbs. w/tuba)

Is the hard case the only real protection? (I remember gig bags in general being referred to a "dent bags" or simply "handles.") I'm not young; would the weight of the hard case kill me, or would the fact that I could roll it (needing only to lift it in and out of a vehicle or on stairs) save me?

When you vote in the poll, please post why you voted for that one. Thanks.
OhioTubaGuy
lurker
lurker

Re: Bag vs. Case

Post by OhioTubaGuy »

My Martin Mammoth travels in a Big Mouth Brass soft sided bag that happened to fit. It does OK, because I am careful.
If price were no object, I would have it in a leather Cronkhite.
OhioTubaGuy
Gnagey/Martin Mammoth BBb
King BBb sousaphone
rocksanddirt
4 valves
4 valves

Re: Bag vs. Case

Post by rocksanddirt »

I use a nylon gig bag from Altieri (sp?). The trick (IMO) to successful use of a gig bag with a full size tuba is to secure it when in a car/vehicle. For example: our community band rented a Bus to travel a couple hours to a festival and all three tuba's sat our horns next to us on the bus, rather than underneath.