Updating Old Mouthpiece to Modern Equivalent

The bulk of the musical talk
Easy Mac
bugler
bugler

Updating Old Mouthpiece to Modern Equivalent

Post by Easy Mac »

I have an old Miraphone model (marked MIRAFONE ROSE MODEL SOLO) purchased in the late 1970s. It seems to have the old, funny, Miraphone taper to the shank, so that it wobbles at the top, meaning that the small end is like the current American taper but the top end is skinnier. (A lot of the very old Marcinkiewicz mouthpieces had a skinny shank, too, back then.)

I have found a use for this piece (after years of it being a paperweight) and now want a nice, shiny, new one THAT FITS MY RECEIVER! (These old Mirafone pieces do not fit the currently used receivers on Miraphone tubas, and wobble the same way. My American shank mouthpieces fit the current Miraphone tubas much better, with zero wobble.)

I understand that the current Miraphone TU27 is the successor to the Rose Solo, but are they actually the same, internally? And is the shank more of an American taper on the current line of pieces? Also, does JK still make them for Miraphone?

Now, off into the bushes for a minute: How similar are the old Rose Solo and the Sellmansberger Solo?

Just looking for some information. Anecdotal stuff is fine. Numbers would be nice. Info from actual, hands-on experience would be great.

Thanks.
kathott
bugler
bugler

Re: Updating Old Mouthpiece to Modern Equivalent

Post by kathott »

I have owned/played many Mirafone tubas and Mirafone mouthpieces.

1) My 1960’s Model 186 accepts all Mirafone mouthpieces, some American, some Euro.
With the Model 186, I have used extensively the Rose Solo, Rose Orchestra, C4 and C3. I now use a C6.
I had a TU27 - it has the same dimensions as the Rose Solo.

2) My 12 year old Model 188 has a different receiver, will not accept Mirafone mouthpieces, accepts Euro, but not American.
With this instrument, I have used a PT 82 (old #23) as a modern equivalent to the Rose Solo (same specs).
It seats well in the receiver.

K.
Last edited by kathott on Sat Mar 30, 2024 12:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Schmenge Kaiser EEb, 3 valve (two rotors, one piston), with a Kosicup mouthpiece (9.2 mm)
windshieldbug
Once got the "hand" as a cue
Once got the "hand" as a cue

Post by windshieldbug »

In my experience the Rose Solo rocks!

Do watcha gotta do!
Instead of talking to your plants, if you yelled at them would they still grow, but only to be troubled and insecure?
iiipopes
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by iiipopes »

If your tuba has a standard receiver and taper (whether American, Euro, etc.) there are several companies that can mill and re-sleeve the shank to the proper modern taper. I have had that done on different mouthpieces over the years, including by Osmun, Jim New, and possibly a third I can't recall right now. I'm sure there are others (Reeves? Since one of his lines is sleeving mouthpieces for various gap adjustments?). I understand. Decades ago, for awhile I tried out a very old York tuba mouthpiece (yes, a real one) that had York's proprietary wider taper. Unfortunately, back in an age when nobody really knew about these things, the tip of the shank had been butchered to fit a now-standard receiver. It was only on loan, so I don't know whatever happened to this old mouthpiece. It would have benefitted from a proper re-sleeve.
Jupiter JTU1110
"Real" Conn 36K
Easy Mac
bugler
bugler

Post by Easy Mac »

I guess I just want to know whether the old and current Rose Solo mouthpieces are *the same* but that the modern version has a taper that will fit the current receiver on a 186. I hope that clears things up.

Thanks!
kathott
bugler
bugler

Post by kathott »

From my experience, the new TU27 and the old Rose are the same. The TU27 did not fit my modern 188. I have used the Rose Solo for years, and after comparing specs., found the PT82 to be a very acceptable substitute in my (Euro receiver) 188.
K.
Last edited by kathott on Sun Mar 31, 2024 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Schmenge Kaiser EEb, 3 valve (two rotors, one piston), with a Kosicup mouthpiece (9.2 mm)
Easy Mac
bugler
bugler

Post by Easy Mac »

Thanks!
iiipopes
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by iiipopes »

kathott wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 12:16 pm From my experience, the new TU27 and the old Rose are the same. The TU27 did not fit my modern 188. I have used the Rose Solo for years, and after comparing specs., found the PT82 to be a very acceptable substitute in my (Euro receiver) 188.
K.
Yes. And the modern version of the PT-82 is the RT-82 (as marketed in the US due to trademark issues). I play one. Great mouthpiece.
Jupiter JTU1110
"Real" Conn 36K
Easy Mac
bugler
bugler

Post by Easy Mac »

Thanks everyone. I got a modern TU27 and it is identical to my old Rose Solo. The modern shank taper fits my horn exactly. The old one fit quite poorly, in comparison. I did not realize just how poorly until I was able to A/B them.

I will also look into the RT-82.

Later!