Jazz tuba

The bulk of the musical talk
Tigertuba
bugler
bugler

Jazz tuba

Post by Tigertuba »

What's the best way to dive into playing jazz tuba? I have always wanted to try, but just don't know where to begin. My theory knowledge is pretty good, just need to know where to start.
MW 5450
MW 2182
Loud LM-3
G&W Bora SS
A man's success is achieved only by hard work and dedication.
http://www.myspace.com/brassngrass" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank
Tom Mason
pro musician
pro musician

Just do it.

Post by Tom Mason »

There are many theories on how to construct adlib lines and how to perform stylistically, but the best answer to your question in my opinion is to just do it. There is no magic formula that replaces experience in listening and playing.

One thing to understand is that like all other genres, you as a performer must match style with the others in a group. In jazz playing, many people relate unmatched style to a misplaced concept of being sloppy intentionally. Good jazz has all of its performers in a group matching articulation and rhythm styles precisely. Again, this matching comes as much from listening and matching a leader in the group as it does by listening to and duplicating a certain performer from a recording.

Tom Mason
Stefan Kac
bugler
bugler

Re: Jazz tuba

Post by Stefan Kac »

Tigertuba wrote:What's the best way to dive into playing jazz tuba?

The same way that you dive into playing jazz on any other instrument.
Jeff Miller
bugler
bugler

Post by Jeff Miller »

#1 Listen
#2 Imitate
#3 Listen some more

Repeat as necessary, remembering to rotate occasionally so as to avoid overdoing the edges.

Seriously - listen to everything you can get your hands on, and decide what you like. Then play along with the records, go to jam sessions, and learn some tunes in those styles.

You can top this up with Abersohl records and loads of technical practice, but unless you have some concept inside your head, you won't be convincing at what you're doing. Also, in my opinion, the play-along records produce a lot of really boring pseudo-jazzers (as well as a few really exciting ones!). It's up to you to decide which one you'll be.

Here are a few more suggestions:

Do you want to play dixieland, be-bop, or funk, or something else?
Do you want to be a lead horn or a bass line instrument?
Make a list of your 5 favorite jazz musicians, and get your hands on anything by them that you can. What makes their playing unique?
Play along when you can, and when you can't, figure out what they're doing by transcribing and then play along.

I hope this advice helps somewhat.

By the way, as a shameless plug, please feel free to visit my website if you want to hear some of my playing. I'm primarily a bass-line player; I'm particularly into funk and modern back-line stuff.

If you want to talk over anything, email me and I'd love to trade some thoughts over the subject.

Cheers,
Jeff Miller
TubaDude
bugler
bugler

Post by TubaDude »

Just do it, but make sure you have the fundimentals of what notes go into what chords and where those chords go. Study the good old circle of fifths.
TubaDude
1909 King Helicon with 4th Valve Added
1913 York 4 Valve Eb/C Helicon (for sale)
Art Hovey
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Art Hovey »

First, learn your scales and arpeggios, and play simple songs by ear in as many different keys as you can. If you can't do that then forget about playing jazz. If you can, then continue.
Play along with all of your favorite recordings.
Find a good jazz show on the radio, one that features whatever kind of jazz you like, and record it every time it is on. Play along with the tapes. Whenever you hear a lick that catches your fancy, imitate it. If you occasionally can't figure out what chord they are playing then go to a book and look it up or ask a piano player. But do not approach jazz as an intellectual exercise. Think of it as recreation. Relax and have fun with it.