Question: CC tuba w/wind ens solo. Crowd Pleaser?

The bulk of the musical talk
Mudman
3 valves
3 valves

Question: CC tuba w/wind ens solo. Crowd Pleaser?

Post by Mudman »

Solo gurus,

Please recommend a flashy "wow factor" tuba solo with wind ensemble accompaniment. The solo must be suitable for performance on a 3/4 CC. (High register is no problem.)

The director of bands will only program solos that are "crowd pleasers" or "barn burners." The trumpet professor usually plays Carnival of Venice. I have performed Barnacle Bill the Sailor on bass trombone with the group.

I'd like to look at a variety of pieces over the summer and approach the band director about playing one next year. Flash is good.

Thanks in advance!
Art Hovey
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Art Hovey »

My favorite in that category is the "Carioca". If you have military band connections you can get the parts in illegible manuscript. But I have heard that it is being published. Ask Harvey Phillips.
tuba_bloke
bugler
bugler

Post by tuba_bloke »

who is publishing the "Carioca" I really what a copy of this great piece...
CJ Krause
4 valves
4 valves

Post by CJ Krause »

Last edited by CJ Krause on Wed Sep 28, 2005 12:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rommel72
bugler
bugler

Post by Rommel72 »

Pat Sheridan has an arrangement of the Carioca which he recorded on his Storyteller CD. He gave me a copy of it when I studied with him last summer. Much better than the orginal in my opinion. You might get in touch with him and ask him if his arrangement is being published, and how much it costs.
smurphius
3 valves
3 valves

Post by smurphius »

The Gregson Tuba Concerto indeed has a band arrangement and it is VERY, VERY awesome solo. I only played it with piano accompaniment, and that alone was awesome. The band arrangement would be well worth looking into. Best of wishes finding that awesome solo. Tubas are such great solo instruments. Unfortunately we have to keep showing that to people one ear at a time. :-)
MartyNeilan
6 valves
6 valves

Solo for Wind Ensemble

Post by MartyNeilan »

David R. Holsinger's Kansas City Dances. Doesn't get much harder or flashier than that - including runs to Double High C's, but lots of good mid to lower register stuff as well. Recorded by Steve Seward on a 5/4 CC twice, including a recording with the Airforce Band. For the rest of us mortals, I would ditto the recommendations of the Gregson above. Also, never discount the Vaughan Williams, it just may work on your 3/4 CC.

Marty "who can play all three mvts of the Gregson but currently only the second mvt of the Holsinger" Neilan