Tuba Tuners Bookmark and Share

The bulk of the musical talk

Moderator: Uber Moderators

Tuba Tuners

Postby John Caves » Sat Nov 05, 2005 12:59 am

Upon researching this subject in the Archives, I found the Korg CA-20 was very popular - and good portable unit. Has anything come out recently that surpasses the Korg? A built-in metronome would be a nice feature.
John

Mirafone 191
1927 Conn helicon-waiting for restoration
60's Martin "Heliconized" Sousie
John Caves
bugler
bugler

Postby JohnH » Sat Nov 05, 2005 1:19 am

I just bought a Sabine Metrotune 9000 that doesn't seem to pick up tuba or euphonium very well, even with a clip-on pickup. The other tuba in community band has the same problem with his. When I bought this I gave my old bottom-line Korg to my daughter, so I may have to switch back with her if the Sabine will tune her saxes and guitars ok.

Every Korg I've ever had worked fine on low instruments.
JohnH

Postby bloke » Sat Nov 05, 2005 1:59 am

tuner-metronome...

I just took a Korg 20 tuner and a Korg 30 metronome, traced their shapes on to a small piece of corrugated cardboard, cut halfway into the depth of the cardboard removing those shapes, jammed the two units into those shapes, held them there with very small bungies, and put a chip-clip on the piece of cardboard (to hold it on to the music stand). Total investment c. $40 for a bang-up tuner-metronome. Laugh if you like, but if one or the other breaks, I don't have to throw away the whole thing.

bloke "same reason I never buy a combo TV-DVD/VCR player"
Ask about or order Sellmansberger mouthpieces at 901-465-4739 or click the email icon.
Like us on facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Sellmansberger-blokepiece-Tuba-Mouthpieces/193759374019965
midsouthmusic (at) aol (dot) com
bloke
TubeNet Sponsor
TubeNet Sponsor

Korg TM-40

Postby Bob Mosso » Sat Nov 05, 2005 1:04 pm

Korg TM-40 combined tuner & metronome (it's new)

http://www.korg.com/gear/info.asp?a_pro ... egory_id=5

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=h ... id/210533/

I've had one for about a month, I highly recommend it!
Bob Mosso
bugler
bugler

Postby Scott Sutherland » Sat Nov 05, 2005 1:09 pm

Korg also has one of those clip on tuners that works great. AW-1 I believe is the model number.
Scott Sutherland
pro musician
pro musician

Another Korg Option

Postby crbarnes » Tue Nov 08, 2005 12:56 pm

I know you don't want to hear it, but the Korg OT-12 is truly great. Why don't you want to hear it? Because it costs $88.99 on Musician's Friend and does not have a metronome :( . It has a lot of exotic tunings for period instruments, etc. So why do you need it? It's range of detection is A0-C8 and it has a real VU meter. It also has a neat Sound Back mode which allows you to hear the tone while you tune to it. Good ear training for matching that clarinet or oboe giving the pitch. The reference tones have a range of C2-C7. It accepts a clip on mic and I find that the Korg clip on is a good choice there as well. I have better results clipping it on my lead pipe than on my bell. There is other information in the forum about this option and the usual variety of opinions about it.
What lies behind us, and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
crbarnes
bugler
bugler

Postby schlepporello » Sun Apr 16, 2006 4:30 pm

I'm currently using a Korg AT-2 chromatic tuner which I bought about 10+ years ago. For a clip, I'm using a bridge pick-up for a violin. My problem is that it doesn't matter if I use the clip or the built in mic, my tuner still takes forever to pick up and decide on my pitch when I'm using it on my tuba. Is this a common problem with tuners in general when used with tubas or do I just need to cough up some cash and buy a better tuner?
The wind is as the air, only pushier.
schlepporello
6 valves
6 valves

Postby Tubaryan12 » Sun Apr 16, 2006 4:32 pm

I use the Korg CA-30. Picks up tuba just fine even in a room of other people playing at the same time.
Marzan BBb - 4 rotor, Blokepiece Solo and Symphony
Unidentified 4 valve Chinese Euphonium, Conn Remington
King 607F, Conn Remington
Posting and You
Tubaryan12
5 valves
5 valves

Postby JayW » Sun Apr 16, 2006 4:34 pm

The Korg TM40 is definietly a great value - $26.00 for a tuner/metronome. However if you are looking for a truly great tuner/metronome packagae and the $$ isnt much of an issue the Seiko SMP-20 (or the lower model SMP-10) are really great. I like it becase of its analog meter which i find easier to read that a digital display. FWIW
Jay
JayW
4 valves
4 valves

Postby averagejoe » Sun Apr 16, 2006 4:35 pm

I have a fender brand tuner/metronome. I find that I would rather have seperate units because I want to use both while doing long tones.
averagejoe
3 valves
3 valves

Postby bigwillystyle » Sun Apr 16, 2006 5:32 pm

For tuners I have to recommend a BOSS Dr. Beat. Newest one is the DB-90. That little box can put out a lot of sound. Okay, so it's not exactly a little box, and it is pricey, but the sound it puts out can't be beat.

In my experience, tuning with a drone and adjusting with your ears sure beats the heck out of watching the little dancing needle. And when you're in a room by yourself, a tuning drone really is the next best thing to having another person there with you. The only major downside to the DB is that you can only use one function at a time (metronome/tuner).

The DB just inhales batteries, so if you buy a DB, the adapter is a must! Don't leave home without it. In fact I've got it sitting here. (Part# PSA-120T if you're curious)

If I need a drone and the tempo going at the same time, I have the little Korg MA-30 metronome. It's only loud enough if you turn up the volume and set it to accent every beat, but it does the job.

-William
bigwillystyle
bugler
bugler

Postby Dylan King » Sun Apr 16, 2006 5:34 pm

These things are my favorite...

Dylan King
pro musician
pro musician

Next

Return to TubeNet