Jan Bach/multiphonics

The bulk of the musical talk
CrappyEuph
3 valves
3 valves

Jan Bach/multiphonics

Post by CrappyEuph »

In Jan Bach's Concert Variations, there are multiphonics in a register where I, being a girl, can't sing. There are supposed to be higher resultant tones when multiphonics are done properly, so I'm wondering which of these options will produce those higher overtones:

1) Play the played note in the octave written and sing the sung note up an octave.

or

2) Take both notes up an octave.

Anyone have experience with this?

- Jamie
TubaRay
6 valves
6 valves

Jan Bach

Post by TubaRay »

Jamie, I am not familiar with the work, however I would guess the best approach would be to sing it in your octave. It may not produce the exact same results as singing it lower, but neither would playing everything up an octave. And speaking as a guy, I doubt anyone would really enjoy hearing you try to sound like a guy. So my advice is to go with choice #1. I believe it is your best bet. Just call it your "interpretation."
Ray Grim
The TubaMeisters
San Antonio, Tx.
smurphius
3 valves
3 valves

Post by smurphius »

be a sexy female tubist. sing high, sing pretty, and play the hell out of it. :D
JB
pro musician
pro musician

Post by JB »

Only a thought, but you may wish to contact Mr. Bach directly and seek his adivce/opinions on what he would suggest you do.

From his website ( http://www.elnet.com/~janbach/janspage.htm ), e-mail for Jan Bach: < janbach@elnet.com>

If you follow through with this, perhaps you could inform all of TubeNet as to the result from your contact with the composer.