FrankenContra!

The bulk of the musical talk
Leland
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Leland »

And, of course the next question is,

Was it brought to life by a huge jolt of lightning-charged electricity? ;)
ThomasDodd
5 valves
5 valves

Post by ThomasDodd »

Leland wrote:Yeah, this horn isn't terribly heavy. Plus, they're balanced better than most convertibles that have been made. Yamaha's 3/4 sized convertible, while light, is a bear to carry because it's so short, and therefore most of its weight is out front, being supported by the arms. Larger, longer contras, especially with leadpipes that wrap around the wrist (like on the Marine D&B contra I posted in the "Valves valves valves" thread), actually balance better and are easier to manage while on the shoulder despite weighing quite a bit more.
I'm certain those contra balance well. When I marched that con, it wasn't bad. I marched trombone the year before, and it seamed less balanced than the tuba. The Conn was a 4/4 size horn I'm sure. It was bigger than my Olds, which is a big 3/4 horn. I ended up with the valve cluster over my sholder, and once it was up (not that easy form a H.S. kid) it stayed fine. Now the metal sousaphones in college were another story. Toses beasts are heavy, and kill the sholuder.

I wish the school had used 3 valve contras, or convertible horns. They just bought some new sousaphones, so they aren't going to change any time soon.

And, if any one can help me locate that Conn, I'm looking. again convetible, 3 side valves. All I can find are top valve convertibles. This one was carried on the right shoulder too.
Jeffrey Hicks
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Jeffrey Hicks »

Conn 15j. Same as the current 12j with a conversion kit. nice sounding but still not as a good as a good sousaphone.
ThomasDodd
5 valves
5 valves

Post by ThomasDodd »

Jeffrey Hicks wrote:Conn 15j. Same as the current 12j with a conversion kit. nice sounding but still not as a good as a good sousaphone.
Are you sure? Every time I see a "15j" the pics are top action valves, not front. Like this one
Jeffrey Hicks
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Jeffrey Hicks »

Yeah. I am pretty sure they were given the same name. That particular 15j is the copy of the King 1140 which is a pretty lousy horn in its own right. The original 15j is just like a 12j with an adjustable lead pipe and switchable first and third valve slide. I have a low opinion of the 1140 and even lower opinion of its Blessing Copy called an Accord.
Conn 36K with Mike Finn "H"
ThomasDodd
5 valves
5 valves

Post by ThomasDodd »

Jeffrey Hicks wrote:Yeah. I am pretty sure they were given the same name. That particular 15j is the copy of the King 1140 which is a pretty lousy horn in its own right.
That sucks. To use the same name on 2 horns that different. Any idea when the switch happened? The horn the school had was new in 1987. How can I find the one I wnat, instead of that one? I asked Conn and got no response.
The original 15j is just like a 12j with an adjustable lead pipe and switchable first and third valve slide.
So the 12j is convertible? Or available as an option? The Conn pages didn't show a convertible front action horn. For than matter no one sems too. I was starting to think I halucinated the horn.

-Thomas
ThomasDodd
5 valves
5 valves

Post by ThomasDodd »

Leland wrote:And, of course the next question is,
Was it brought to life by a huge jolt of lightning-charged electricity? ;)
More likely a flint striker or peizo ignighter.

Then again, you could say the player brings it toi life, and I have now knowledge of his origins:)
Jeffrey Hicks
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Jeffrey Hicks »

Conn quit making them awhile ago. The 12j is the same but it is not convertible. There are also 11j's floating around that are very similar but do not convert and have a smaller bell. The University of Cincinnati Marching band had them for a long time. They switched to Sousaphones. The 15j's are often for sale on Ebay. Usually they are quite battered as they did not hold up well in the school environment. I have a 5j that I play on alot and it has the 4th valve. It is too small for a group of any decent size. My rule is group over 25 do not bring the 5....I have no idea why Conn quit making the 15j. It is a vastly superior horn to an 1140. I would say they probably make more money on the 1140.
Conn 36K with Mike Finn "H"
ContraDude
bugler
bugler

Post by ContraDude »

I think it was brought to life with a valve-oil infusion :wink:

It's a scary horn, but it does okay. anyone else who has pictures of the horns they march with (Sousaphone or Contra or Convertible Tuba) can post em... I'm curious about what everyone has...

(truth be told, I would want, first, a new Dynasty/DEG 5/4 contra, then a Conn 20k)