Miraphone 188's?

The bulk of the musical talk
tubacdk
pro musician
pro musician

Miraphone 188

Post by tubacdk »

I definitely think that the 188 is a fantastic all-around contrabass. they are easy to play, produce a pleasant tone and have good intonation. Miraphones are made to last, so you're also not getting something that will fall apart on you. The complaint about 188s seems to be that they can get bright if you push them. That is true, but I think it can be easily countered with proper mouthpiece selection. I've also heard people complain about the low register being stuffy, but my experience has been totally opposite. I find the low register very responsive and capable of a lot of color.

Physical comparisons - smaller than the Rudolf Meinl RM-45 CC and the Yamaha YCB-861, bigger than the MW2145. I think it looks a little smaller than the piston MW 2155, but sounds about the same size out front. I think it might be about the same size as the HB-2.

Sound comparisons - they put out as much sound as the RM-45 or YCB-861, I think, but it's a generally brighter tone. I think they project better than the YCB-861. I know they project better than the HB-2. I've heard people play 188s next to HB-2s and the 188s always come out ahead. The 188 sounds fuller & more colorful.

Flame away, but I hear what I hear. :P

-ck
UDELBR
Deletedaccounts
Deletedaccounts

Post by UDELBR »

HH wrote:I bought my Miraphone 188 3 months ago in Holland.
If you don't mind my asking, what'd you pay for it (in Euro's, of course). If you'd rather keep that to yourself, I understand. :)
tclements
TubeNet Sponsor
TubeNet Sponsor

Mira 188

Post by tclements »

I've always thought that the Mirafone 186 was the best all around tuba available today. The 188 is basically the same tuba with larger branches starting after the main tuning slide. So, I would say the 188 is the SECOND best all around tuba out there. It has all the benefits (and pitch quirks) and the 186, but with a larger, broader sound. I have always preferred the gold brass flavor.
tubathig
pro musician
pro musician

Post by tubathig »

I personally own a 186 5u, but I have played several 188's over the years and feel that they are great and play just as good as horns that cost thousands more.
CJ Krause
4 valves
4 valves

Miraphone 188

Post by CJ Krause »

Last edited by CJ Krause on Tue Sep 27, 2005 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tubacdk
pro musician
pro musician

5th valve

Post by tubacdk »

Brit wrote:Thanks for the replies...
Were 188's originally made only with the 2+3 5th setup and if so, when did they become available as a long whole-step?
Also, can the 2+3 setup be switched to long whole-step without too much cost?
yes, they were originally made with the long 5th valve. They changed to the short 5th within the last 5 years or so. I don't know how much it would cost to have the 5th shortened, but I expect it would be a little bit pricey.

I have played many tubas with the long 5th and many with the short 5th. I currently own one tuba with a long 5th and two with a short 5th. I think that there are advantages to both setups, and really don't find one superior to the other. I think Miraphone changed it to the short setup simply because of popularity, and that there were probably buyers who dismissed Miraphone as a simply because they didn't want to change from how they had learned their 5th valve. If you are considering a Miraphone tuba that has the long 5th valve setup, I think you should give it a real chance before deciding that you're going to cut the slide. There are some definite advantages to that setup.

-ck