KING 2341 FOR SALE!!!

The bulk of the musical talk
MikeMason
6 valves
6 valves

Post by MikeMason »

i think the question is somewhat valid. in a world where trying a tuba can cost 200 in shipping for a 10 minute trial to find out you don't like it, if the seller will respond honestly, you can narrow down your choices. i think the vast majority of tubenetters do give an honest evaluation of their horn,which is really better for buyer and seller in the long run. in my opinion, if you purchase a horn that is a lemon,due to lack of play testing on your part, you need to be prepared to lower your price to resell it.of course, circumstances beyond horn playability most often seem to prompt a horn sell. great horns are certainly available used.a lot of them right here on the tubenet. maybe sellers should just go ahead upfront and say what they like and don't like about a horn and get it out of the way...
Joe Baker
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Joe Baker »

Yeah, you do need to ask questions before you shuck out the bills for a trial. But it would be both more effective and less offensive -- and a lot less nosy -- to ask "Was there anything about the instrument that made it unworkable for you? Did you have any problem with the valves? Intonation? Build quality? Any notes that don't speak properly? Has it ever been damaged?" If I were shopping for an instrument, I'd have such a checklist, and explain to any sellers that I'm asking all of these questions about every horn I inquire about. I'd probably do it in writing, in fact.

I also think you should ask these questions privately, but my main point is that it is rude to ask "Why are you selling it?" There are times when a person is selling a beloved instrument because of hard times that are just no one else's business.