Euphonium solos w/German Band

The bulk of the musical talk
Rick F
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Rick F »

There's a piece I've heard on Flugel horn with Brass Band that I think would sound great on Euphonium. It's "En Aranjuez Con Tu Amor" by Joaquin Rodrigo. It has a Spanish flavor to it.

The last time I looked for this piece, I got a response that there is major copyright problems with this piece so it's been taken out of circulation. But that was about 6 months ago. You can try doing a search for it if interested. I think Grimethorpe Collier Band did this one some time ago. Very melodic, not too difficult.

HTH
Miraphone 5050 - Warburton mpc (Brandon Jones)
YEP-641S (on long-term loan to grandson)
DE mpc (102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank)
JB
pro musician
pro musician

Post by JB »

Rick F wrote:There's a piece I've heard on Flugel horn with Brass Band that I think would sound great on Euphonium. It's "En Aranjuez Con Tu Amor" by Joaquin Rodrigo. It has a Spanish flavor to it.

The last time I looked for this piece, I got a response that there is major copyright problems with this piece so it's been taken out of circulation. But that was about 6 months ago. You can try doing a search for it if interested. I think Grimethorpe Collier Band did this one some time ago. Very melodic, not too difficult.

HTH
If I recall correctly, Chick Corea also used this "tune" as the into to his composition Spain. The setting you speak of (again, if I recall correctly) was used as a flugel solo in the movie Brassed Off.

Perhaps one lead might be to check the soundtrack credits in that film; it should list the band and arranger. Perhaps -- with a little Google-aided detective work -- you could locate a contact that could give you info (or even a source) on how to get it into your hands. If we're talking about the same piece and the same setting, I remember being quite taken with the arrangement. (Originally written as a guitar concerto, and I think this is an extract from one movement.)

Keep us posted. (Sorry for the bad, unintended pun.)

Rick F
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Rick F »

JB wrote:The setting you speak of (again, if I recall correctly) was used as a flugel solo in the movie Brassed Off.
You're right JB! The girl playing the solo (faking it actually) was a real looker too. That was a pretty good movie. Loved when they played "Danny Boy".
Miraphone 5050 - Warburton mpc (Brandon Jones)
YEP-641S (on long-term loan to grandson)
DE mpc (102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank)
pg
bugler
bugler

Euphonium solos w/German Band

Post by pg »

The local German band has a piece in their book called "Der Frohliche Solist" (pardon the missing umlaut). This is a cute melody and a fun listen and it even has a short cadenza at the beginning of the tune. As far as difficulty - I am an amateur at the advanced high school level (was an all state player years back - but never any college training) and it wouldn't be too hard for me to work up this tune - its not that difficult really. In fact, the woman who usually plays it adds a fair amount of flourish on the repeats to keep it interesting. It finishes on a high Ab (concert) as I recall.

--paul;