Does ANYONE have the contact info yamaha's parts department

The bulk of the musical talk
Paul S
3 valves
3 valves

Re: Does ANYONE have the contact info yamaha's parts departm

Post by Paul S »

Sheritonjames wrote:Does ANYONE have the contact info yamaha's parts department and btw been to the web site..... UGH!!!!!
SJ
I would be interested as well. I have been trying to find the right sized rotory valve linkage hold down screw for several months. My local music stores keep ordering and keep receiving a screw twice as thick as was originally used. They are at a loss too.

If anyone knows Yamaha parts I have larger photos at:
http://www.angus1.com/tuba/part.htm

Thanks!
Paul Sidey, CCM '84
Principal Tubist, Grand Lake Symphony
B&S PT-606 CC - Yamaha YFB-621 F
SSH Mouthpieces http://sshmouthpieces.com/" target="_blank
Dan Schultz
TubaTinker
TubaTinker

Post by Dan Schultz »

Paul S wrote:
Sheritonjames wrote:Does ANYONE have the contact info yamaha's parts department and btw been to the web site..... UGH!!!!!
SJ
I would be interested as well. I have been trying to find the right sized rotory valve linkage hold down screw for several months. My local music stores keep ordering and keep receiving a screw twice as thick as was originally used. They are at a loss too.

If anyone knows Yamaha parts I have larger photos at:
http://www.angus1.com/tuba/part.htm

Thanks!
You might have your dealer give Allied a call. They list the part as a 'Stop Arm Retaining Screw' part number Y-H21 41041.
Dan Schultz
"The Village Tinker"
http://www.thevillagetinker.com" target="_blank
Current 'stable'... Rudolf Meinl 5/4, Marzan (by Willson) euph, King 2341, Alphorn, and other strange stuff.
Paul S
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Paul S »

TubaTinker wrote: You might have your dealer give Allied a call. They list the part as a 'Stop Arm Retaining Screw' part number Y-H21 41041.
Been to Allied as well.. it is too big too! I guess Yamaha must have changed to a larger screw size and not kept the smaller type.. or vice versa...
Paul Sidey, CCM '84
tubapress
pro musician
pro musician

Post by tubapress »

Sheritonjames wrote:I am in search of a piston valve set for a their f tuba I believe yfb-621, any leads would be appreciated.. and btw been to the web site..... UGH!!!!!

SJ
A few months back, I spoke with someone at Yamaha named Lyne Selleck. I had been trying to find spare parts for Silent Brass and no one else proved helpful. She was very friendly and helped me out bigtime, so maybe you could give her a try.

Lyne's email address is lselleck@yamaha.com and her phone number is 616-940-4945.

Good luck with your search!
Gary Press
gary_press@yahoo.com" target="_blank
Paul S
3 valves
3 valves

Re: Of course..

Post by Paul S »

Henry wrote:.... it's incredibly unlikely that this is some special alloy known only to oriental ctraftsman which imparts a special timbre to the tone as one rotates the valves... As a matter of fact its almost certainly a (probably metric) machine screw available at your local hardware store for a pittance. Older horns (sixties and back) sometimes wind up with exotic thread sizes unique to the manufacturer but not so with a Yamaha.
I have done that route as well and that is what keeps me playing. I ended up going to the hardware and got a 4/40 screw, snipped it shorter then added several increasing sized washers to hold down the assembly. It is not pretty but it works and fits to a degree. The problem is the washers just make it a LOT noisier than the original and wobble working the screw loose as I play.

There also appears to be no standard small thread 4/40 screw with a large head in the order books my local hardware stores buy from. This is why I am back to seeing what Yamaha can tell me about getting the right one ordered. I am a farmer and know all about improvising repairs but sometimes you just need the right part.
Paul Sidey, CCM '84
ThomasDodd
5 valves
5 valves

Post by ThomasDodd »

Paul S wrote: I have done that route as well and that is what keeps me playing. I ended up going to the hardware and got a 4/40 screw, snipped it shorter then added several increasing sized washers to hold down the assembly. It is not pretty but it works and fits to a degree. The problem is the washers just make it a LOT noisier than the original and wobble working the screw loose as I play.
I forget the name, but there's a washer type, that is large O.D. and small I.D.
Perhaps you can find one sutied for a 4-40 screw? Then just a single washer. it shouldnt be noisy or back out. You could alway use a therad lock hold it in.

Another option, I recently used, is to mke a washer usings a plastic sheet. Something thick, like a blister pack, or other packaging plastic. Only cost is a few minutes of time, since this is material usually thrown away. Drill the hole for the screw first, then use a circle template to mark the O.D. and cut it with siscors or a sharp blade. Sand the eges with an emery board, you wife/girl probably has one.

-Thomas
Dan Schultz
TubaTinker
TubaTinker

Post by Dan Schultz »

Paul S wrote: I have done that route as well and that is what keeps me playing. I ended up going to the hardware and got a 4/40 screw, snipped it shorter then added several increasing sized washers to hold down the assembly. It is not pretty but it works and fits to a degree. The problem is the washers just make it a LOT noisier than the original and wobble working the screw loose as I play.

There also appears to be no standard small thread 4/40 screw with a large head in the order books my local hardware stores buy from. This is why I am back to seeing what Yamaha can tell me about getting the right one ordered. I am a farmer and know all about improvising repairs but sometimes you just need the right part.
Paul... I've had to do some strange things in order to make stuff work. Perhaps the french horn stop arm screws will work. I have made these special screws with all-thread (small sizes available at hobby shops) and pieces of brass with internal threads for the heads. What you may end up doing is buying enough of the screw with larger threads on them and tapping out your rotors.
Dan Schultz
"The Village Tinker"
http://www.thevillagetinker.com" target="_blank
Current 'stable'... Rudolf Meinl 5/4, Marzan (by Willson) euph, King 2341, Alphorn, and other strange stuff.
Chuck(G)
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Chuck(G) »

I wonder if a standard 4/40 truss-head screw will do the trick.

Alternatively, you could pick up some NBP thumbsrews and replace the whole set. It'd look pretty good, I think.
JB
pro musician
pro musician

Post by JB »

Sheritonjames wrote:I am in search of a piston valve set for a their f tuba I believe yfb-621, any leads would be appreciated.. and btw been to the web site..... UGH!!!!!
Found the following info posted a month or so back by Gary Press regarding assistance with Yamaha Silent Brass parts. Perhaps the same contact person could help.

Quoting Mr. Press:
The person at Yamaha who was so very helpful to me was named Lyne Selleck. She helped me to obtain spare parts for my Silent Brass when the next best option I had found was to order them through a music shop, wait 3 months for delivery and spend a small fortune!

Lyne's email address is lselleck@yamaha.com and her phone number is 616-940-4945.

Gary Press
The Basement Register
tubapress@hotmail.com [end quote]