Dixie in highschool?

The bulk of the musical talk
dopey
3 valves
3 valves

Dixie in highschool?

Post by dopey »

Does anyone hvae any suggestions if someone wanted to get together some fellow band mates and put on some kind of dixie/blues type ensemble together for a upcoming concert?

What music, books etc? tunes? I just came back from new orleans, and after hearing some of the players/groups down there playing down by bourbon i'd love to do something like that..

Any suggestions as far as instrumentations, pieces etc would be appreciated =^)

Thanks,

Jacob
Matt G
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Matt G »

Check out JW Pepper.

Their are some charts written out for small ensembles in this genre. Figure out the names of a few standards you want to play and search a site like Pepper's.

Other folks will tell you to transcribe the tunes. This is the best way, but I doubt you have all of the right tools yet to do this, but maybe you do. In the interim, I would think you could find plenty of stuff here:
http://www.jwpepper.com

Even better:
http://www.jwpepper.com/catalog/jazband ... mbo+Charts

Scroll down to Dixieland Combo's Vol I & II
dopey
3 valves
3 valves

Post by dopey »

How do these rankings really match up?

For a pretty skilled group of highschool players, would medium easy be a piece of cake for them to learn?

I know i ordered a solo makred "advanced" and It is defiantly NOT a piece of cake :p lol

I like the dixie combo pack # 4, it has bill baily and basin street blues..The ones I heard played i imagine had alot of addlib in them, but do these for the most part have a pretty good bass line? all the ones I heard had a very nice bass line along iwth solos and stuff.
Matt G
5 valves
5 valves

Rankings stink!

Post by Matt G »

Most of these rankings are for the useless band contest performance requirements.

It is difficult to play any piece of music at its highest level, i.e. exact intonation, rhythm, articualtion, dynamics, phrasing, etc., but some pieces make it easier, because the have less black on the page or less vertical white betweent eh black notes.

Most "standards" are in the easier categories. Mainly, because the graders of this stuff think they are easier because they know the melody and therefore would be easier to play. As far as bass lines, most will be two beat. If you want to get creative and do four beat stuff, you better find a teacher fast, or figure out what those guys on the recordings are doing.

Get a few books with some tunes you know, get them down and then start to work from there on improvisation and whatnot. Most important, have fun. If you do this stuff well, and you look like you're enjoying it on stage, you'll probably be very well received. Probably better than the concert band itself.

Pick up some good dixie records and listen, listen, listen. You'll start to hear what makes that stuff "cool" and eventually figure it out on your own.

Most important is to have fun and make sure the people in the audience know you are. None of those guys down in N'orleans probably looked like they were "working". I bet the reason you stood there and watched was not only the music, but because those guys looked like they were having a good time.
Biggs
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Biggs »

As far as instumentation goes: tuba, drum set, and banjo are essential. I'd get a piano too if you could. On top of this rhythm section is traditionally a trumpet, trombone, and clarinet.
dopey
3 valves
3 valves

Post by dopey »

banjo be the only one that i may not be able to get.. as far as i know, noone i know of plays banjo.. or atlesat is in band too
Dan Schultz
TubaTinker
TubaTinker

Post by Dan Schultz »

one each of the following: clarinet, tenor sax, trumpet, trombone, bass, piano, optional guitar.

Hal Leonard's 'Dixieland Beat' booklets has eleven easy to play tunes. Still in print. $3 per part (the piano book is $7).
Dan Schultz
"The Village Tinker"
http://www.thevillagetinker.com" target="_blank
Current 'stable'... Rudolf Meinl 5/4, Marzan (by Willson) euph, King 2341, Alphorn, and other strange stuff.
dopey
3 valves
3 valves

Post by dopey »

I'd appreciate a couple arrangements if you wouldn't mind.

Ima see what kind of pieces we have in our library today.
ThomasDodd
5 valves
5 valves

Post by ThomasDodd »

I don't really think you have to have the strings.

I've heard all brass dixieland and it was fun.
Maybe not "true" to form, but still great.

I don't think the istrumentation is as important as the feel of dixieland.

You coud even go all brass, maybe with Fhorn, though the clarinet and percussion
is nice to have.
dopey
3 valves
3 valves

Post by dopey »

I can get a clarinet easily..

I asked my director today, he said he may hae a few arrangements and would look for them for me..

I'd prefer not to do strings if possible, can't think of anyone that could prolly pull it off, sure every1 around here can play guitar but when it comes to really knowing what their playing etc.. well those are few and far between..In my opinion..