Tuba Ring

The bulk of the musical talk
Hank74
3 valves
3 valves

Tuba Ring

Post by Hank74 »

Last week I purchased a leather "tuba ring" from BrookMays to fit a bell that is about 15 to 17 inches in diameter. I bought this so as to protect the bell of a new tuba which I got from denting.

However, when the ring came in, it was longer in width than I expected. For some reason I think this ring would need a clamp as well or maybe it's just too small.

If any of you have any knowledge or experience on these "tuba rings," I would appreciate your input. Otherwise, I might just offer this for sale and go with good old plastic tubing, the ones used for fish tanks, etc. to protect my bell.

Hank74
Chuck(G)
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Chuck(G) »

[quote="blokeWhy not just wait a few weeks until you've collected several bottom bow dents and a bell crease or two? [/quote]

A few weeks, Joe? Now that's optimism!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Dan Schultz
TubaTinker
TubaTinker

Re: Tuba Ring

Post by Dan Schultz »

[quote="Hank74"]Last week I purchased a leather "tuba ring" from BrookMays to fit a bell that is about 15 to 17 inches in diameter. I bought this so as to protect the bell of a new tuba which I got from denting. /quote]

Hank, why not give Brooks Mays a call. Maybe they sent you the wrong thing. What kind of tuba did you get?
Dan Schultz
"The Village Tinker"
http://www.thevillagetinker.com" target="_blank
Current 'stable'... Rudolf Meinl 5/4, Marzan (by Willson) euph, King 2341, Alphorn, and other strange stuff.
CJ Krause
4 valves
4 valves

Post by CJ Krause »

Last edited by CJ Krause on Wed Sep 28, 2005 1:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chuck(G)
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Chuck(G) »

bloke wrote:Image

...or maybe he could just coat his horn with poofy green styrofoam.

:wink:
That's not styrofoam! That's fung---uh, "patina"!
ContraDude
bugler
bugler

Post by ContraDude »

I have a patina going on my little Eb... Doesn't help the tone much... and it smells like raw brass :roll:
UDELBR
Deletedaccounts
Deletedaccounts

Post by UDELBR »

ContraDude wrote:I have a patina going on my little Eb... Doesn't help the tone much... and it smells like raw brass :roll:
When drummers get it on cymbals, they refer to them as "tone maggots". :shock:
CJ Krause
4 valves
4 valves

Post by CJ Krause »

Last edited by CJ Krause on Wed Sep 28, 2005 1:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hank74
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Hank74 »

I put on my tuba ring this week and needless to say it fits. This is a great investment for only $15. Looks great too.

Hank74
Alex Reeder
bugler
bugler

Post by Alex Reeder »

What I have found to work very well is clear plastic aquarium tubing that you can get extremely cheap from a pet supply store. All you have to do is cut it to the circumference of the bell and then slit it down the middle on one side with a razor blade. Then just fit it over the rim all around and trim to fit.
This has worked great for me! It grips well by itself with no need for glue, melting, or any other messy thing, and stays on. It is invisible from any distance more than about 5 feet and keeps the rim from getting scratched and keeps the tuba from sliding around.
In my experience this is the easiest and cheapest way to do this. Good luck!