LA Phil Bobo/Johnson recording?

The bulk of the musical talk
ThomasP
3 valves
3 valves

LA Phil Bobo/Johnson recording?

Post by ThomasP »

Is this infamous recording copyright 1971 by Decca Music Group? and was it conducted by Zubin Mehta. If this is the case, I found the CD for only $7.99 at Best Buy. With some John Williams' Close Encountes and Star Wars from 1978. If this is the infamous recording I just happened upon it by accident.
Thomas Peacock
Huttl for life
Schilke 66
joshwirt
pro musician
pro musician

Post by joshwirt »

yep....buy it
neil
pro musician
pro musician

Post by neil »

Best. recording. ever.
ThomasP
3 valves
3 valves

Already Purchased

Post by ThomasP »

I bought this recording just because it was a good deal and I needed a recording of The Planets. I started looking at it more closely and I saw the copyright, and remembered Pokorny's remarks on his excerpt CD. It is an amazing recording, and Pokorny's remarks about "the low e at figure 9" is indeed incredible.

A question that I have after listening to this recording, is there an organ part to this work? If not, the last big chord in Uranus (figure 9) sure does sound like an organ.
Thomas Peacock
Huttl for life
Schilke 66
JB
pro musician
pro musician

Re: Already Purchased

Post by JB »

ThomasP wrote:A question that I have after listening to this recording, is there an organ part to this work? If not, the last big chord in Uranus (figure 9) sure does sound like an organ.
Yes, I have the score in front of me, and there is indeed an organ in Uranus. Interestingly enough, it is only playing the single note "e" on the pedals (written one ledger line below the bass clef staff).

TubaRay
6 valves
6 valves

L.A. Phil

Post by TubaRay »

Alright, JeffO! Let's use a little discretion here. What do you say? You are now reminding me of my high school students. Or are you a high school student?(I really don't know.) Either way, I believe you get two points for being clever enough to notice, and minus five points for having to call our attention to it.
Ray Grim
The TubaMeisters
San Antonio, Tx.
TubaRay
6 valves
6 valves

L.A. Phil

Post by TubaRay »

Unfortunately, BndDrk, that is often true.
Ray Grim
The TubaMeisters
San Antonio, Tx.
JB
pro musician
pro musician

Post by JB »

tuben wrote:
A question that I have after listening to this recording, is there an organ part to this work? If not, the last big chord in Uranus (figure 9) sure does sound like an organ.

Yes, I have the score in front of me, and there is indeed an organ in Uranus. Interestingly enough, it is only playing the single note "e" on the pedals (written one ledger line below the bass clef staff).
Yes but remember that what is written in ink on the page is not always what the organ produces. The lowest written note for any organ work is CC (two lines below the bass clef staff). But the organ has stops which 'automatically' produce pitches one or two octaves below what is written. The same applies for high stuff, one, two or even three octaves above what is written.
With all due respect, my original statement stands precisely as written; in organ playing there are the manuals and the pedals (those that are played with the players' feet). This "e"' is played by the pedals (i.e., the left foot of the player). It is noted as such in both the player's part to the work, as well as in the score.

I do undertand registration and all of that (i.e., what sounds, octaves, etc) with the instrument. You are, perhaps, mistaking "pedals" for the range rather than the instrument-specific written instruction by Holst.
JB
pro musician
pro musician

Re: Already Purchased

Post by JB »

JeffO wrote:
JB wrote:there is indeed an organ in Uranus.
I can't help laughing every time I read that.
I should point out that the name "Uranus" is pronounced somewhat differently, depending on where you hail from on the globe. (You gather that I hear it differently than what you apparently hear as -- and forgive me, TubeNet readers -- "your anus." )

You know, after I re-read what I wrote I did pause and ponder if I should rephrase ('cause I, too, saw it another way...) and but thought no need.

In hindsight, perhaps I should have edited.

Leland
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Leland »

I feel like I'm the only one who doesn't really like that recording. :oops:

It's mainly because of its over-engineered sound, but the performance just feels sloppy (as cool as that low E is).

I liked the recording by the BBC Philharmonic much better.
JB
pro musician
pro musician

Re: L.A. Phil

Post by JB »

evilcartman wrote:
JeffO wrote:So I'm not totally off-topic, I love how that low E also sounds on the Montreal/Dutoit recording.
BTW...who's playing tuba on the Dutoit recording?
Ellis Wean.

JB
pro musician
pro musician

Post by JB »

tuben wrote:
With all due respect, my original statement stands precisely as written; in organ playing there are the manuals and the pedals (those that are played with the players' feet). This "e"' is played by the pedals (i.e., the left foot of the player). It is noted as such in both the player's part to the work, as well as in the score.

I do undertand registration and all of that (i.e., what sounds, octaves, etc) with the instrument. You are, perhaps, mistaking "pedals" for the range rather than the instrument-specific written instruction by Holst.
Well, I'm not sure just what you mean by "instrument-specific written instruction by Holst". Does he specify regristration? As far as the pipe organ in general goes, I'm rather familliar with the instrument. I build and maintain pipe organs as a career.

Robert Coulter
Atlanta, Ga
Colleague - American Institute of Organbuilders

Mr Coulter (a.k.a. Tuben).

We are, in fact, in agreement, and I hasten to add that no disrespect was intended toward you in any way (just in case my post implied any curtness on my part – not meant to).

I took “Yes but remember that what is written in ink on the page is not always what the organ producesâ€