Weird Recital Idea

The bulk of the musical talk
SirCharls
pro musician
pro musician

Weird Recital Idea

Post by SirCharls »

For those of you who may not have seen it on the ol' BBS...

:idea:

I am considering adding a visual aspect to my recital. Maybe some pictures scrolling (a la desktop) or maybe even having someone from the art department here painting a picture while I play.

What do you think? Anyone ever done this? Is this idea just too crazy?

10-Q

cdo
Principal Tuba, Colorado Springs Philharmonic Orchestra
Principal Tuba, Apollo Chamber Brass
Tuba-Euphonium Instructor- Colorado State University-Pueblo
------------------------------
https://sircharlso.wixsite.com/apollochamberbrass
WoodSheddin
5 valves
5 valves

Re: Weird Recital Idea

Post by WoodSheddin »

SirCharls wrote:For those of you who may not have seen it on the ol' BBS...

:idea:

I am considering adding a visual aspect to my recital. Maybe some pictures scrolling (a la desktop) or maybe even having someone from the art department here painting a picture while I play.

What do you think? Anyone ever done this? Is this idea just too crazy?

10-Q

cdo
I raffled a canned ham at a recital once. The ham was surely better than that recital. God, I hope no one recorded it! :oops:
sean chisham
tclements
TubeNet Sponsor
TubeNet Sponsor

Recital

Post by tclements »

I think this is a GREAT idea! Let's face it folks, the classical music firld is in trouble. ANYTHING we can do to make our audiences more interested in what we are doing is good. Best wishes!
numbnutstubist
bugler
bugler

wierd recital idea

Post by numbnutstubist »

Try and get in touch with Big Joe. He did a slide show while he played "Journey" during his recital last year. He might be able to help you out some. It's a wonderful idea you have. I wish you the best of luck.
Always remember that thinking just gets you in trouble.
Shockwave
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Shockwave »

How about using a computer to generate those mesmerizing "visualizations" from the sound as you play and then projecting it on a big screen for the audience to see? It would be like the modern version of the colored oils on the overhead projector that were used in old psychadelic concerts.
docpugh
bugler
bugler

Post by docpugh »

My thought would be this: do something that adds to the music, but doesn't distract the audience from what you're conveying with the music. New ideas are to be commended, but be careful and don't let your addition dominate the recital.

Just my $0.02
==============================
Ivan Darrell Pugh, Jr., DO
http://docpugh.mav.net
docpugh@yahoo.com
==============================
graybach
bugler
bugler

Post by graybach »

You didn't say how long until your recital, or if you would consider adding another piece, so apologies if this is off-base: Try a piece called "(sp?)Escher's Sketches." The composer puts music to some of the famous sketches of MC Escher(sp?), which are shown via film projector.
I heard Richard Perry play the piece, and it's pretty good. Good luck on your recital,
Gray Bach
Michael Roest
bugler
bugler

If Skryabin can do it you can too!

Post by Michael Roest »

In Skryabin's Prometheus he calls for a color projector in the score. During the piece he askes that colors be projected show different colors/tone colors and so forth. I think it would be fantastic to utilize more that one area of art in your recital. Hey, I go to Oberlin and using visuals during a recital is nothing out of the ordinary. Give a try, and play your *** off. Double the fun.
Seth Fletcher
lurker
lurker

Re: Weird Recital Idea

Post by Seth Fletcher »

A little weird never hurt anybody!

I did a tuba quartet concert where we had enough foliage onstage to rival a jungle, not to mention the fruit and other random objects (chairs, table, etc.) and a guy reading a book.

During intermission we staged a tuba theft and chase seen . . . quite exciting!

Nothing beats a good Tubaween, though! Eh, Cory?

Seth
MileMarkerZero
3 valves
3 valves

Post by MileMarkerZero »

Fits right in with Wagner's gesamkunstwerk. The total art work.
SD

I am convinced that 90% of the problems with rhythm, tone, intonation, articulation, technique, and overall prowess on the horn are related to air issues.
funkcicle
3 valves
3 valves

Post by funkcicle »

a friend and I wrote a piece for hairy tubist(me), hairy pianist(him), and hair stylists.. it's yet to be performed, as neither of us has finished growing his instruments yet.