Mouthpiece for large tuba

The bulk of the musical talk
Jonathan Fowler
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Jonathan Fowler »

Some smaller Mp's that I have tried for huge tubas
PT-44
Lasky 30H (I think there is a G model made for rotor horns)

I guess that's it...
The lasky was a great fit for me at the time.

jon
MartyNeilan
6 valves
6 valves

Post by MartyNeilan »

ALthough designed for piston tubas, you may want to give the Parke Ofenloch a try if you know someone who has one. It was built to tame the MW2165 and is designed to give a big yet focused and articulate sound.
poomshanka
4 valves
4 valves

Try Kanstul...

Post by poomshanka »

I have an oddball mouthpiece I'm using for a Mirafone 190 CC that might work on your horn. I've tried several different alternatives, and keep coming back to this one. The history on it, to the best of my recollection, is as follows...

Gene Pokorny was rummaging around in Tommy Johnson's mouthpiece collection. He pulled out an old Burt Harrick (sp?) and liked it - shallow, slight undercut, huge throat and backbore. He called it his "CVSM", or "Charlie Vernon Survival Mouthpiece".

Norm Pearson made a few copies when he was out at Marcinkiewicz, and I have one of those (stamped N5CP). I've contacted them regarding this mouthpiece, and they no longer have any record of it.

Kanstul, however, now has a copy in their CNC machine. There are two variants available - one with an N4 rim (for Tommy), another with a C4 rim (for John Van Houten). I think John's using his on his rotary Neptune.

Now, this thing would split the bell of just about any "normal" instrument. On huge rotary horns that need to be "tamed", however, it lights them up pretty well. The shallowness puts some nice zing into the airstream, the undercut gives the cup some additional volume, and the large throat/backbore combination opens up the low register quite nicely. I tried a C4, but it just backed up too much in the basement.

As is the case with any recommendation, "your mileage may vary". However, if you've got $125 to give this oddball a shot:

http://www.kanstul.com

If you're anywhere near Southern California, you're welcome to swing by and try mine out...

...Dave
CJ Krause
4 valves
4 valves

Post by CJ Krause »

Last edited by CJ Krause on Wed Sep 28, 2005 1:16 am, edited 1 time in total.