Air Travel for TUBAS. Any prep?

The bulk of the musical talk
Davidrn1
bugler
bugler

Air Travel for TUBAS. Any prep?

Post by Davidrn1 »

Hello, I am planning a trip to California in August and will need to take my tuba with me from Ohio.

I thought that I read some time ago that the slides and valves need to be pulled beforehand. I do not know the reason for this, or even if it is needed. Info please???

I also am wondering what type of insurance you place on the horn before it goes into the abiss of luggage.

And, Is a hard case usually enough to give a horn adequate protection during the trials of luggage transport and flight? Or, will I need a travel case?

Thank you very much for your responses and info.

Have a great day
Tom
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Tom »

First, make sure you need to take your tuba. From the way your message reads, it sounds like the trip is performance based, so you probably do need your tuba.

Second, buy insurance if you don't already have it. Get the best coverage you can afford on your instrument. Check into your homeowners policy (if that applies to you), ask about riders, and research the companies that specialize in instrument insurance. It is essential that your coverage includes airline travel damage and that it is setup so that your tuba would actually be replaced (along with case and everything else), should it be necessary due to extensive damage.

Third, get a flight case. Having your tuba in a flight case is essential. NOT a hard case...a flight case. Get a case specific to your tuba...make sure it fits well, etc. If you have to rely upon foam blocks, basketballs, clothing, etc. to "protect" your instrument, the case isn't good enough. The case itself must fit your horn very well without modification. Make sure that you get one with some serious latches...don't count on duct tape, straps, etc. to keep your case closed. I've had straps cut to pieces, duct tape ripped off, and latches bent, broken, or removed from cases in the past. It is important to note that whatever you do has to be able to be done and redone easily because security will inspect it. I'd get a Walt Johnson or Anvil Case. I have no experience with the Meinl Weston flight cases, but they look promising. I've seen tubas damaged in Unitec cases, for what that's worth...proof that form fitted cases are better than generic ones that have been retrofitted for your tuba.

Some other tips...make sure you know the dimensions of the case and the weight as well as what the airline policies are. You'll probably have to pay oversize and possibly overweight fees. It can be between $80-$200 depending on how many policies you're violating and how nice they feel like being. If you can check it curbside and tip the skycap well, it's the way to go. Also, when you get there, open up your case at the airport and look for damage. Report any issues at that time. If you want a gig bag when you get there, use the gig bag as a suit case by packing the bottom (as js has suggested) and folding the top over and securing it to reduce size.

I've never pulled the slides or done anything special to the valves and I've never had airline/tuba issues. Pulling the slides means that you have to find a safe place for them where they won't get damaged, which isn't as easy as it sounds.

My only airline horror story is that they trashed my old Miraphone 186 in a wood case. I don't know how they did it, but they creased the bell, dented the whole thing up and put a hole between the top and bottom bows. I've leanred a lot since then and would never fly with that kind of setup again. And yes...it was bubble wrapped, basketballed, strapped, and full of duct tape.The horn never came out of the case, and the finish wasn't scratched, but those measures won't prevent dents during air travel.

Let me know if you have any questions...I've done over a dozen domestic flights with at least one tuba and I've done 4 international flights with a tuba.
poomshanka
4 valves
4 valves

Previous post on old tubenet...

Post by poomshanka »

Just some general-purpose information I thought might be of use...

At his recent masterclass here in L.A., Al Baer spoke at length about the challenges he faces travelling back-n-forth to New York (to include $5-6K worth of damage to his two horns).

Apparently, the AFM has been working with the TSA to help meet the unusual needs of musicians travelling with instruments. Now, I'm paraphrasing the information Al presented quite a bit here, but basically you can request that a TSA supervisor *personally* inspect your instrument, while you're present, before it gets loaded on the plane. They'll then put stickers over the seams of the case, and Al says at this point he actually locks the thing up.

It's also advisable to call ahead to the airports you'll be travelling to/from to speak with the station supervisor and let them know you're coming. Tell them you're travelling with a fragile instrument, and that you'll require special assistance with screening it before boarding. Al has their numbers programmed into his speed dial, and they know him by name now.

Now, having said all that, I can't say that I have any personal experience with these issues. This information is strictly anecdotal, and it'd be wise to further explore the situation on your own. I might recommend visiting the AFM website, and if you're a member, you can actually download letters that have been drafted to address these issues with screeners. Since this really only covers the TSA, your actual mileage with the airlines themselves may vary. Maybe it would be a good move to contact them directly as well before flying to see what accomodations, if any, they can make for protecting your horn(s).

Just a thought...

...Dave

Issue discussed on AFM website:
http://www.afm.org/public/departments/leg_issues_01.php
Dan Schultz
TubaTinker
TubaTinker

Post by Dan Schultz »

I've flown with tubas on several occasions but only as a last resort. You didn't say why you were going to travel with the tuba. If you are just 'taking it along' for a long term stay or a pernament move, you should certainly consider shipping it via something other than an airline. If you have to fly with it you must have a commercial flight case.

I'm leaving for a gigging vacation in England in a couple of days and the only thing I'm taking is my music and a couple of mouthpieces. I've borrowed a horn to use for a few days.
Last edited by Dan Schultz on Tue Jun 01, 2004 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dan Schultz
"The Village Tinker"
http://www.thevillagetinker.com" target="_blank
Current 'stable'... Rudolf Meinl 5/4, Marzan (by Willson) euph, King 2341, Alphorn, and other strange stuff.
Davidrn1
bugler
bugler

Thanks

Post by Davidrn1 »

Thank you all very much for the informative input regarding this matter. It has given me a lot to think about.

Some of the things I have already looked into. Others I have not. I do need the tuba for a banjo convention in Sacramento in August. If anyone out there can, or would be willing to lend me theirs, or a decent piston 4 valve piece, I would surly take them up on it.

Thanks again.
Dan Schultz
TubaTinker
TubaTinker

Re: Thanks

Post by Dan Schultz »

Davidrn1 wrote:If anyone out there can, or would be willing to lend me theirs, or a decent piston 4 valve piece, I would surly take them up on it.

Thanks again.

David.... you might consider doing a search for 'community bands' in the Sacramento area and put out a few feelers that way. Good luck.
Dan Schultz
"The Village Tinker"
http://www.thevillagetinker.com" target="_blank
Current 'stable'... Rudolf Meinl 5/4, Marzan (by Willson) euph, King 2341, Alphorn, and other strange stuff.
imperialbari
6 valves
6 valves

Post by imperialbari »

poomshanka!

Your creepy avatar ought to earn you the eternal status of lurker.

Klaus