Humes and Berg Tuxedo Gig Bag

The bulk of the musical talk
Tom
5 valves
5 valves

Humes and Berg Tuxedo Gig Bag

Post by Tom »

I'm looking for a gig bag for my new tuba:

Anyone have a Humes and Berg Tuxedo Gig Bag?

Experience? Good? Bad?

The price is right, for sure...

I'm looking for a top loading bag because of this configuration of this specific instrument.

FYI, I don't care for Altieri bags much and I've never seen a Dolly bag, but I hear they take forever to get.

I've only ever had Reunion Blues bags, but they were all sideloaders. They are very nice bags, but also very expensive, and since I'm in the process of purchasing a Johnson flight case, I'm trying to save a little money.
Normal
bugler
bugler

Post by Normal »

I've been using one for almost a year on a King 1241. It is definitely better than either two cases or no case at all. The padding is ok. I have nothing really to compare with since I haven't seen any of the more expensive brands. I haven't added any dents since I've been using the bag.

I have the big size of the Tuxedo because of the size of the tuba's bell. It is big. I use mainly the packpack straps and small handle for carrying. No problems with the straps so far. They attach at either end of the bag. This makes them work for a VERY large person. I am 6'1" with a fair amount of size and have some issues with the straps working off of my shoulders. I am contemplating a strap in front over my chest to hold the shoulder straps on.

The zippers are working fine so far. They get tested everytime I put my tuba in because the bell diameter slightly exceeds the size of the top of the bag.

The front pocket is big enough for a leather music folder plus other stuff. The pocket is also positioned so that the folder helps to protect the valves. There is a small pocket inside the top cover that I use for oil and stuff I want to protect like a tuner.
Norm Miller

King 2341S BBb
Yamaha YBL 612 Bass Trombone

Willamette Valley Concert Band