Yamaha YFB-822

The bulk of the musical talk
MikeMason
6 valves
6 valves

Post by MikeMason »

I just got a nice used one last month. i was looking for primarily a quintet horn that could also do the other things you need an f for. this horn is perfect for my needs. i'm an adult amateur who plays quite a few paying gigs but i can't practice 4 hrs a day to keep a respectable sounding low range on a traditional f. the yamaha's low register is just THERE. which is just what i need. it may not sound like Michael Lind, but, it works and i really dig the sound( of course i could never sound like Lind regardless of equipment, and if Mr. Lind signed a multi-million dollar endorsement deal with yamaha, we may all soon have a new respect for the 822 :D ).
tubacdk
pro musician
pro musician

Post by tubacdk »

the YFB-822 is a great instrument if you're looking for a horn that is easy to play, produces a nice tone and can do lots of stuff. I owned one for years and was very happy with it as an all-around isntrument. I eventually sold it though because I never got the characteristic F tuba sound that I wanted out of it. I learned F tuba on a school-owned Alexander and the Yamaha just never compared to that in my mind. I think the 822 is a great quintet tuba because it acts like a small CC but with incomparable agility. When I sold my 822 I had to buy two tubas to replace it because it was so versatile. So ya, the 822 is a great tuba but it wasn't a great fit for me. The low register is indeed fantastic, if that's what you're looking for in an F tuba.