B&S PT-10 and PT-15

The bulk of the musical talk
Rick Denney
Resident Genius

Re: B&S PT-10 and PT-15

Post by Rick Denney »

rcane wrote:I'm looking into getting an F tuba and I was wondering if anyone had some experiences with the B&S PT-10 and PT-15. I prefer rotary but welcome all comments. What are the differences between these horns?
If you can find an older B&S Symphonie model from before the instroduction of the Parantucci models, try it out. It has a smaller bore on the fifth valve and a more characteristic sound to my ears. Play the low C 3-5 and you'll be impressed.

When I bought mine I compared it with a PT-10. The PT-10 was more conventional sounding which is not what I was looking for. I preferred the Miraphone 181 to the B&S PT's because of better playability.

If you have limited funds, don't play the Willson rotary F.

I, too, wanted a more traditional rotary F sound, but still a big F that would project in large ensembles where my small piston Yamaha does not.

Rick "surprised by the old B&S" Denney
TubaRay
6 valves
6 valves

B&S

Post by TubaRay »

B.S. can be surprising sometime, can't it, Rick? Oh, I'm sorry. You wrote B & S..........Never mind!!!
Ray Grim
The TubaMeisters
San Antonio, Tx.
tubacdk
pro musician
pro musician

Post by tubacdk »

Rick Denney wrote: If you can find an older B&S Symphonie model from before the instroduction of the Parantucci models, try it out. It has a smaller bore on the fifth valve and a more characteristic sound to my ears.
I second that. they're fantastic tubas.

-ck
WoodSheddin
5 valves
5 valves

Post by WoodSheddin »

rcane wrote:I'm looking into getting an F tuba and I was wondering if anyone had some experiences with the B&S PT-10 and PT-15. I prefer rotary but welcome all comments. What are the differences between these horns?
The PT-10, IMO, is the benchmark F tuba. The PT-15 is the same wrap and size of the PT-10 but with heavier metal in the bell and bottom bow. It also has a gold brass leadpipe. The PT-10 comes with 2 leadpipes which detach. The PT-15's gold brass leadpipe is solderred on.

I own a PT-15 and can't think of many F tubas I have played which I like better than mine. It will stay with me for life. The one F tuba which comes to mind which I may have liked better was Chris Hall's PT-10 which he sold several years ago. I tooted a few notes on it when he was still in Chicago. I probably should have bought it, but oh well.

sean
sean chisham
tubacdk
pro musician
pro musician

Post by tubacdk »

bloke wrote:
I second that. they're fantastic tubas.

Are you the one that owns Roger Bobo's old Symphonie? If so, Norm is apparently very jealous of you.
ya, that'd be me. I was very fortunate to be talking to the right guy at the right time. Every time I mention that horn, Mr. Pearson tells me that if I'm ever gonna sell it that I have to call him first. It plays much better than it looks. :D

and yes, that is a quarter on the 4th valve paddle.