Playing a EEb in college.

The bulk of the musical talk
Tom
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Tom »

You might also want to check out the Willson Eb and the Meinl Weston Eb. I've heard many good things lately about both tubas. Personally, my only Eb experience (as I play F for my bass tuba) is on the Willson Eb and Besson 983. I personally liked the Willson far better, but YMMV (as Ian said).
The Darling Of The Thirty-Cents-Sharp Low D♭'s.
Chuck(G)
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Chuck(G) »

If you can deal with a 3+1 compensator, a 981 might come closer to an all-around Eb than the 983. Or, as others have mentioned, the Willson 3400.
CJ Krause
4 valves
4 valves

Post by CJ Krause »

Last edited by CJ Krause on Wed Sep 28, 2005 1:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lew
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Lew »

You don't say what your major will be, which will have an impact on the answer to your question. If you plan to major in tuba performance, I believe that a Besson 983 will be difficult to use as your primary horn for a large ensemble. It is too difficult to get the breadth of sound from it that I would think would be required in those situations.

If you are to be a music ed major, then it would probably be sufficient. However, there are other, larger, Eb's that have been mentioned that are more likely to be able to support large groups. I love my 983, but I only play it in small ensembles or when there are other tuba players with contra-basses in a large group.
Mark E. Chachich
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Mark E. Chachich »

As far as "politically correct" to ask your teacher, if you do not value a teacher's advice you should not study with that person, no excuses. This does not mean to blindly follow, but you should respect your teacher's advice (if not, why are you in that studio). As far as playing a non-standard tuba for any country, the question that you must honestly ask yourself is why (most of us are only impressed with success). I wonder why it seems that this type of post (why not play a whatever key but the standard) are generally made by students.

good luck,
Mark
Mark E. Chachich, Ph.D.
Principal Tuba, Bel Air Community Band
Life Member, Musicians' Association of Metropolitan Baltimore, A.F.M., Local 40-543
Life Member, ITEA
Michael Grant
bugler
bugler

EE-flat vs. CC

Post by Michael Grant »

Buy a EE-flat if that is what you want. It was good enough for Fletch, it is good enough for Pat Sheridan, John Stevens, etc. Everytime this subject comes up I think of the time a friend of mine fell in love with this old Kroner I was playing. He loved the sound I got out of it. When I told him it was a BB-flat he suddenly did not like it. His loss.

When I was at WVU, David McCollugh told me that unless the person in the audience knows tubas, they don't know whether you are playing a BB-flat or a CC. And as long as you play the part, they don't care. I use a Willson 2400 E-flat. It is my only horn and it can hold it's own in almost any setting. As a college horn, I think it would be perfect. If I were teaching college I would highly recommend it to all my students who could only have one horn and who were not seeking the "big" orchestra gig. I wish I had it 20 years ago when I was in school (if for no other reason, I bet the constantly sticking 2nd valve would be worn in enough that it would not stick any longer).

In closing, I agree with an earlier post that the Besson 983 would be a too light for an all-around horn. I think the Willson is better in that aspect.

Anyway, buy what you want and master it.

Good luck!
Michael Grant
Wessex HB24 BBb Helicon
King 2341
Chuck(G)
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Chuck(G) »

jszkutko wrote:If you or the conductor wants a broader darker sound, then go for the Willson. Like Barry said, the ergonomics are very different and it will take you a little while to adjust, unless you're a 6'2"+ ape with gorilla arms. 8)
I play a Willson in brass band, tuba ensemble and quintet and it's just fine. I'm 6'4" (but no one's called me an ape) and I find the ergonomics on the Willson to be more comfortable than on the Besson 983. Intonation doesn't seem to be an issue, but then everyone's different.

I also do my best to put in time on the big horns (I'm playing a Martin BBb in a couple of bands this summer) as this seems to keep me from getting too lazy with the little horns like the Willson.

IMOHO, the optimal solution is to use the right tool for the job. You can't expect a small Eb to sound like a big 6/4 contrabass. True, you can be very loud on it, but the sound's not the same.