US Army Field Band- Washington

The bulk of the musical talk
David Zerkel
pro musician
pro musician

Post by David Zerkel »

I served in the Field Band from 1987 to 1990. It was my first professional gig and I can say in perfect hindsight that it was a wonderful job as far as work is concerned. There was nearly no marching involved, and I saw a whole bunch of the world that I'd most likely never see otherwise. I had the privelege of working with some really great musicians.

I would compare the Field Band very favorably with any of the other DC Bands as a musical ensemble. The current commander is a good guy and a decent musician. If you are young and unmarried, the band is a great job. When I was in, we travelled about 120 days a year, so it is best to have a really tolerant and understanding spouse. This kind of travel schedule is not for everyone and as a result many marriages in the band were troubled and/or short-lived. This was not my experience and certainly not the experience of many in the band.

There is a great tuba legacy in the band...Harvey Phillips, Ron Bishop. Ev Gillmore. Dave Bragunier, Ed Livingston and Tim Northcut all did some time in the band. I'm sure that I am leaving out many other illustrious players!! My boss, Tim Loehr, was a great section leader and really took care of his guys.

I left the band in 1990 for a position in the Army Band (Pershing's Own) ceremonial band, essentially trading my bus seat for a sousaphone. The Field Band was, for me, a much more musically satisfying job than TUSAB. Playing for a new audience every night has rewards that I was ill-equipped to understand at the time!

I fyou have any specific questions that I can answer for you off-line, please drop me an e-mail.

Best regards,
Dave Zerkel