Bravo TUSAB

The bulk of the musical talk
Leland
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Leland »

runelk wrote:I know that a combined orchestra and chorale will perform at the church service.
That might be the Marine Band, but I don't know for sure, so don't quote me on that.

And yes, it would be their chamber orchestra.
TheChiefofStaph
bugler
bugler

Post by TheChiefofStaph »

I could only tune in for a brief moment in the middle of the ceremony inside the Capitol Rotunda. Was that the Army Band's Brass Quintet playing inside the building?

Ben
WoodSheddin
5 valves
5 valves

Post by WoodSheddin »

TheChiefofStaph wrote:I could only tune in for a brief moment in the middle of the ceremony inside the Capitol Rotunda. Was that the Army Band's Brass Quintet playing inside the building?

Ben
yes
sean chisham
Bandmaster
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Bandmaster »

Joe Baker wrote:Credit Mrs. Reagan, who insisted on no commentary during the proceedings. Rotten tomatoes to Fox News for not fully respecting her wishes (not a lot of commentary, but some). I don't know which other networks did and which did not provide the sights and sounds without comment.
I was channel flipping trying to see who had the best sound and everytime I came around to Fox News they were the only ones "not" talking. They also seemed to have the best sound pick up. Yes, there was a little talking, but not nearly as much as the other stations, unless my timing was really bad while flipping.

All the bands sounded excellent. A very hearty WELL DONE to all the service bands!
Dave Schaafsma
1966 Holton 345 | 1955 York-Master | 1939 York 716 | 1940 York 702 | 1968 Besson 226 | 1962 Miraphone 186 | 1967 Olds | 1923 Keefer EEb | 1895 Conn Eb | 1927 Conn 38K | 1919 Martin Helicon
DonShirer
4 valves
4 valves

Post by DonShirer »

I believe the USCG (Coast Guard) band is playing for the funeral Friday. Our community band director is in it and had to get a substitute for our concert last night since he had to be in D.C.
Mitchell Spray
pro musician
pro musician

Re: Army Band at Ceremony

Post by Mitchell Spray »

manatee wrote: And why so many oficers in front?
The officers in front of the Army Band were the commander of troops for the entire parade formation and his staff, followed by the commander of the first division (there were 2 divisions) and his staff. Next came the Drum Major and the Commander of the Army Band.

Mitch Spray
BVD Press
TubeNet Sponsor
TubeNet Sponsor

Post by BVD Press »

DonShirer wrote:I believe the USCG (Coast Guard) band is playing for the funeral Friday. Our community band director is in it and had to get a substitute for our concert last night since he had to be in D.C.
They will be playing at the Cathedral while people enter
Alex F
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Alex F »

and well did they play...

In addition to R&F and HTTC, the USCG band played the Navy Hymn as the casket was born into the Cathedral. After the service, they played "God Bless America."

This ensemble is smaller than the other "elite" service bands and, is the only one not based in the DC area ( located at the USCG Academy in New London CT). it is also, I believe, the only band the USCG has, except for a cadet band at Training Center Cape May, NJ. Totally oblivious to the rain that was coming down, their professionalism was evident.

All the members of the various service ensembles that have performed during this week deserve high praise. THANK YOU ALL.
TubaRay
6 valves
6 valves

Bravo TUSAB

Post by TubaRay »

It has been so good to see our nations premier bands in action at such a high profile and historical time. You guys and gals have done our entire nation proud. Thank you!
Ray Grim
The TubaMeisters
San Antonio, Tx.
WoodSheddin
5 valves
5 valves

Post by WoodSheddin »

Alex F wrote: This ensemble is smaller than the other "elite" service bands and, is the only one not based in the DC area ( located at the USCG Academy in New London CT).
There are several special bands. Here are the ones I can think of off the top of my head. I qualify special bands as bands which start you as an E-6, are permanent station, and do not require training beyond basic training. The "President's Own" does not require basic training either.

Air Force
The US Air Force Academy Band
The US Air Force Band

Army
The Old Guard Fife and Drum Corps
The US Army Band, "Pershing's Own"
The US Army Field Band
The US Military Academy Band

Coast Guard
The US Coast Guard Band

Marine Corp
The US Marine Band, "The President's Own"

Navy
The US Naval Academy Band
The US Navy Band

Hope I did not forget one. The only ones not near Washington, DC are The US Military Academy Band in West Point NY, The US Coast Guard Band in New London CT, and the US Air Force Academy Band at Peterson AFB CO.
sean chisham
BVD Press
TubeNet Sponsor
TubeNet Sponsor

Post by BVD Press »

Alex F wrote:
it is also, I believe, the only band the USCG has, except for a cadet band at Training Center Cape May, NJ. Totally oblivious to the rain that was coming down, their professionalism was evident.
Right you are, but the Academy also has a cadet band
Adam C.
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Adam C. »

I was very grateful for the spitting rain and clouds on Friday- the temperature was not a problem (unlike the hour of parade rest before the casket arrived).